Psychiatry unites many violations of the emotional, mental and neurological state of a person and contributes to the normalization of these areas of health.
Depressive neurosis or neurotic depression is a pathological state of the human psyche, which is the result of a prolonged, unoccupied depression and combines at once two disorders of the psycho-emotional background.
This disorder affects people suffering from self-doubt, own unrealizability;they are difficult to adapt to a changing environment, and changing living conditions for them is a stress.
More rarely, manifestations of depressive neurosis develop in restrained, unemotional people who have a firm life position and do not take someone's instructions for their own shortcomings, as an attempt to offend or humiliate. In such people, self-esteem remains invulnerable.
The fact that depressive neurosis combines the manifestations of two pathologies, most clearly characterizes the disease and makes it easy to differentiate it.
The peculiarity of neurotic depression is that even with exacerbation of signs of emotional background disturbance, the patient retains an optimistic outlook, he continues to be oriented in his profession, and does not suffer from profound personal changes. However, this does not reduce the importance of consulting with a psychoneurologist.
- Forms and types of depressive states
- Set of triggering factors
- How to identify the deviation?
- A look inside and from
- Step by step from trifles to trouble
- How to help a person?
- Complications and their prevention
Forms and types of depressive states
Neurotic depression tends to acquire a prolonged course and is accompanied by asthenodepressive syndrome, anxious, phobic and hypochondriacal-depressive.
By nature and degree of manifestation, this human psyche disorder has several forms:
- reactive ;
- Situational ;
- bipolar ( characterized by maniacal state);
- monopolar ( the emotional background has no downs and downs and is consistently depressed during the course of the disease);
- endogenous ( the development of a mental disorder is not accompanied by a tragic event).
A set of provoking factors
The main reason for the development of neurotic depression is the long-term impact of the situation, reflections on which give the patient a sense of despair: there is no seemingly a way out of the current difficult life situation.
The predisposing factors of long-term detrimental effects on a person's psychoemotional background include:
- the partner has alcohol, drug or any other dependence;
- constant conflict and stressful situations occurring at work;
- lack of own housing;
- unrealized privacy;
- material difficulties;
- incurable or chronic diseases.
Neurotic depression can persist for a long time, including after solving a previously worrisome problem. In women, the disorder often develops on the background of a sense of loneliness.
Men become exposed to this mental problem at a time when, physiologically or as a result of illness, their sexual function decreases, and they doubt their male viability, in most cases unjustly underestimating their self-esteem.
How to identify a deviation?
The fact that a person is prone to this pathology can be suspected by observing his constantly depressed mood. The main complex of symptoms of depressive neurosis are:
- frequent whining;
- stable negative mood;
- a steady reluctance to focus on any positive moments of life and perceive them.
This condition is accompanied by sleep disturbances, manifestations of mild degree of emotional excitement;a decrease in appetite and emotional instability, which is characterized by spontaneous and causeless mood swings.
Among the features of neurotic depression is the fact that negatively and mentally depressed patient does not perceive all surrounding circumstances, but only a specific local situation, which plays the role of provoking factor of the whole clinical state.
A look inside and from
What happens against the background of pronounced symptoms of a depressive neurosis:
- The patient of comes to the realization of the relationship of experiences with his psychoemotional state .It flows into a clear desire to get rid of the situation that traumatizes his psyche, but he does not succeed.
- There are no specific facial expressions and facial expressions typical of the depression of , but manifest themselves only as a reaction to the mention of the underlying cause that caused the trauma, and are eliminated after the interlocutor changes the subject.
- Weakly expressed decrease in self-esteem;the probability of development of phobias is high, at least - hysterics.
Violation is also manifested by lethargy, a persistent and intense headache, a decrease in cardiac activity, a weakening of the physical tone, and as a result, the overall physical well-being is significantly deteriorating.
But the unusual depressive neurosis is an apathetic state, refusal to perform professional duties, the amount of labor activity remains the same, self-control is preserved.
Step by step from trifles to trouble
When trying to find out from a patient what is oppressing him and what factors led to a change in mood, the real cause of this condition is usually not voiced by him: a person does not mention in the dialogue about the psychotraumatic situation.
The very onset of the disease often coincides with the development of physical diseases in the patient - gastritis, vegetative-vascular dystonia, etc.
In addition, paying attention to his behavior, one can suspect the presence of the listed ailments and explain the depressed state of a person by their progression.
With the aim of differentiating neurotic depression from other disorders, the patient undergoes the diagnosis of many organs.
How to help a person?
The extent to which the treatment will be successful depends on the qualifications and experience of the doctor, the patient with neurotic depression is prescribed medication in combination with psychotherapy, since this combination is optimal for the speediest release of the patient from such a painful condition.
Medicines are chosen by the doctor individually for each patient - the time factor plays a big role here - if the depression occurred a long time, as it progressed it acquired a protracted course, then the medicines the doctor prescribes more serious.
If the disturbance of the psyche has appeared recently, the medications prescribed by the doctor are aimed at raising the vitality of the patient, clarity of mind and achieving a healthy full sleep. It is about antidepressants, sleeping pills and neuroleptics.
Psychotherapy can have the following directions:
- Treatment with hypnosis .Hypnosis beneficially affects the mental state of the patient and with regular application gives a positive result. Hypnosis sessions help the patient to get out of a depressed state. The number of visits to the specialist depends on the stage of the disease and the individual susceptibility of the human body. The method is considered absolutely safe and at the end of the course of treatment, the patient completely gets rid of obsessive fears and is able to independently control negative thoughts.
- Homeopathy .This is one of the most common methods of eliminating neurotic depression, which does not apply to drug treatment options for this mental disorder. Homeopathy is harmless for a patient who is getting rid of the diseases of the emotional sphere, but even the obvious advantages of this method are not a reason to start treatment without the approval of a doctor.
- Physical Exercises .Increased motor activity contributes to increased production of endorphins, which can not be a beneficial environment for the further development of depression. The concentration of hormones in the blood of the patient reaches the same level as after taking drugs of a group of neuroleptics.
Complications and prophylaxis
The most common complication of neurotic depression is the awareness of the hopelessness of the situation and the commission of suicide - this is the outcome of this mental pathology, provided that there is a wrong treatment or lack thereof. In order to protect your friends or relatives from a fatal outcome, you should:
- take an attentive attitude, unostentatiously take an interest in their lives, do not show indifference to their fate;
- demonstrate goodwill;
- provide psychological support and physical assistance;
- to talk, to be able to listen;
- does not leave a person who survived the tragic and event( death of close people, divorce, career collapse) alone with his thoughts, especially for a long time;
- urge to revise the life position;inspire the desire to continue to live.
Neurotic depression is a regulated condition: if it could not be prevented, it does not mean that the situation is desperate and there is no point in starting to treat it at all.
On the contrary, the sooner the patient begins to psychotherapy, the sooner the person will restore the imbalance of his psycho-emotional background, gain meaning and return to normal life activity.