- 1 Metrogyl denta - composition and release forms
- 2 How does the drug work?
- 3 Indications for use
- 4 Instructions for use
- 5 How to properly apply the gel to the gums?
- 6 Metrogyl Denta during pregnancy
- 7 Analogs
- 8 Feedback on application
This article will give instructions on how to use Metrogyl denta gel. It is a dental drug with antimicrobial properties. It is intended for topical use in the treatment and prevention of oral diseases of an infectious nature. Among the entire assortment on the pharmaceutical market, it is Metrogyl dent that is most often used in dental practice. Therefore, it is important to know what medicinal properties this drug has and how to use it correctly.
Metrogyl denta - composition and release forms
The therapeutic effect of Metrogyl dent is due to its composition, which includes two active ingredients:
- Metronidazole benzoate is an antibacterial substance. It quickly penetrates into saliva and creates a high concentration bactericidal barrier, effectively killing bacteria that provoke periodontal disease.
- Chlorhexidine digluconate (20% solution) is an antiseptic component capable of destroying the simplest pathogenic microorganisms, as well as bacteria and the herpes virus. Remains active even in the presence of purulent discharge. At the same time, chlorhexidine does not inhibit the vital activity of beneficial lactobacilli.
The dental product is sold in the form of a gel in plastic or metal tubes with a volume of 5, 10 or 20 g. The price of one tube of 20 g is on average 170 rubles.
How does the drug work?
The pharmacological action of the drug is manifested in the suppression of the growth and reproduction of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria that provoke diseases of the oral cavity. The active substances of Metrogyl dent penetrate into the DNA of anaerobic pathogenic microorganisms and block the synthesis of bacterial nuclein, which leads to their death. The active substances are also active against yeast spores.
Metrogyl Denta for gums has antiseptic properties, disinfects and cleans the oral cavity. When applied topically, it practically does not have a systemic effect on the human body due to the low absorption of the drug.
Indications for use
Dental gel Metrogyl dent is used for the treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity and periodontium. The drug is prescribed for the following pathologies:
- Acute and chronic gingivitis - an inflammatory process of the gums, which occurs without violating the integrity of the periodontal junction. The progressive form of the disease can progress to periodontitis.
- Periodontitis is an inflammatory disease in which the tissues and ligaments surrounding the tooth are affected. The gradual development of the disease leads to loosening and loss of teeth.
- Periodontal disease is a non-inflammatory disease of the oral cavity, in which the blood supply to the tissues surrounding and holding the tooth is impaired.
- Aphthous stomatitis is an inflammation of the oral mucosa, accompanied by the formation of characteristic painful ulcerations.
- Candida stomatitis is an inflammatory process in the oral cavity caused by the yeast-like fungus Candida. It starts with a tongue lesion and can spread to the lips.
- Paratonsillar abscess (paratonsillitis) is an acute inflammatory process localized in the peri-vascular tissue.
- Periodontal abscess is a focal purulent inflammation in the periodontal tissues, which is accompanied by pain, swelling and mobility of the teeth.
- Cheilitis is an inflammatory process in the area of the lips. The disease is accompanied by swelling, redness, peeling and the appearance of painful sores and purulent crusts on the lips.
- Inflammatory process in the oral cavity caused by mucosal injury.
- Post-extraction alveolitis is a complication after tooth extraction, which manifests itself as an inflammatory process in the hole.
It should be noted that in the treatment of standard forms of stomatitis, Metrogyl Denta is not used. The main active ingredients of the drug are not able to affect viruses, therefore, with the herpetic form of the disease, this medication is useless. In addition, the gel is not effective for allergic stomatitis. In all of the above cases, Metrogyl Denta is used as one of the means of complex therapy.
Instructions for use
Since the inflammatory process of the gums, as a rule, develops against the background of microbial plaque, a special cleaning is required before using the drug. After the procedure, the doctor prescribes drug therapy, which includes Metrogyl Denta and antiseptic rinsing agents. With an advanced stage of the disease, systemic antibacterial treatment can be additionally prescribed.
The use of Metrogyl Dent gel without cleaning the teeth from plaque and calculus gives only temporary improvement. Patients experience bleeding gums, and swelling decreases. However, against the background of the absence of symptoms, the course of the inflammatory process continues. Over time, deformation processes intensify in the bone tissue of the teeth, which leads to their mobility.
The methods of using the drug and the dosage regimen, depending on the type of disease, are as follows:
- With gum disease, adults and children from 6 years old are prescribed two procedures a day. The gel is applied with a finger or with a cotton swab in a thin layer on the gum mucosa. You do not need to wash off the product. You can eat and drink only half an hour after the procedure. The duration of the course is at least 7 days and no more than 10 days.
- In case of periodontitis, periodontal pockets are treated. Further, after removing dental plaque, gel applications are applied to the gums. You can do the applications yourself at home. Metrogyl ointment is applied twice a day. The treatment lasts at least a week.
- With aphthous stomatitis, the gel is applied to the affected areas twice a day. The duration of the course of treatment depends on the patient's condition, but, as a rule, does not exceed 10 days.
- To prevent complications caused by gengivitis or chronic periodontitis, the gel should also be applied 2 times a day. The course therapy, which lasts 7-10 days, is repeated at least 2 times a year.
- To prevent the development of alveolitis due to tooth extraction, the hole is treated with gel immediately after the operation. The procedure is repeated for 7-10 days.
- In case of fungal infections of the oral cavity (candidiasis stomatitis), the gel is used as an adjuvant in complex therapy. Before use, you need to clean the affected areas from plaque. The gel is applied once a day, and the duration of treatment is at least 7 days.
How to properly apply the gel to the gums?
The procedure for treating the gums with gel should be carried out twice a day - in the morning and in the evening. After breakfast, you should thoroughly brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with the recommended antiseptic solution. Chlorhexidine with a concentration of 0.05% is perfect as a rinse. This solution does not require additional dilution.
After the rinsing procedure, you should dry the oral mucosa with gauze swabs. It is better to apply Metrogyl Denta gel for gums in front of a mirror, on a dry surface of mucous membranes. To do this, you need to squeeze out the amount of the drug on a cotton swab or finger and distribute a thin layer along the edge of the gum closer to the teeth. When applying, you need to focus on the front surface of the gums.
After the procedure, it is recommended not to drink for about half an hour and not to eat for 1-2 hours. It should be borne in mind that after treatment with the drug, saliva begins to be actively released. You don't need to spit or hoard it in your mouth. Before re-treating in the evening, you should also thoroughly brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with an antiseptic.
Metrogyl Denta during pregnancy
Problems with teeth during childbearing occur very often, so the question of whether Metrogyl dent can be used during pregnancy worries many women. The antibiotic metronidazole, which is the basis of the drug, is practically not absorbed into the blood and does not have a systemic effect on the body. However, the use of the gel, according to the instructions, is prohibited in the 1st trimester of pregnancy, as well as during breastfeeding.
Good to know
In case of urgent need, Metrogyl Denta can be used in nursing women, but only after consulting a doctor. For the period of treatment, the baby is temporarily transferred to milk formulas, and after the end of the course of therapy, breastfeeding is resumed.
Contraindications and side effects
The drug is not prescribed for individual intolerance to active substances or auxiliary components. You can not use Metrogyl for children under 6 years of age, as there is a high risk of swallowing the drug, which entails unwanted complications. This drug has no other contraindications (in addition to the 1st trimester of pregnancy and lactation).
Side effects usually occur with an overdose of the medication. In this case, the following characteristic symptoms occur:
- stomach upset;
- dizziness and headache;
- allergic reactions (skin rash, itching).
In case of an overdose and these symptoms occur, gastric lavage and appropriate drug therapy are required. Reviews of the drug indicate that side effects are extremely rare.
Metrogyl dent has analogues - medications that are similar in indications and pharmacological action:
- Holisal - a dental gel with antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. It is used to treat stomatitis, gingivitis, periodontitis, cheilitis and oral candidiasis. The preparation contains cetalkonium chloride and choline salicylate. The gel can be used with caution during breastfeeding. The average cost is 250 rubles.
- Metrodent is a dental gel with a similar composition, but cheaper. The indications for use are the same as for Metrogyl dent. The cost of the drug is 100 rubles.
- Metrohex is a combined antimicrobial drug. Contains all the same metronidazole and chlorhexidine. The cost of the drug is from 140 rubles, but it is not always possible to find it in pharmacies.
Feedback on application
Review number 1
A year ago, an unpleasant story happened to me - the lower gum became inflamed. At first, I self-medicated - I rinsed with soda, took anti-inflammatory and pain relievers. But after unsuccessful attempts, I had to go to the dentist. The doctor prescribed me injections with vitamin C and Metrogyl Dent gel.
The course of treatment lasted two weeks, but by the end of the first the bleeding gums and swelling had disappeared. I applied the gel in a thin layer in the morning and in the evening, and after the procedure, I did not eat or drink for an hour. I bought a twenty-gram tube for 150 rubles, and it was enough for the entire course.
Review number 2
After removing tartar, my husband began to have an inflammatory process in his gums. The doctor prescribed him applications with aminocaproic acid and Metrogyl Dent gel. The gums were treated twice a day for a week. The very next day there were improvements: the gums did not bleed and looked healthy.
After another couple of days, the painful sensations also passed. The gel was applied using cotton swabs, there was no need to spit it out - it quickly dissolved with saliva.
Larisa, St. Petersburg
Review number 3
Recently, my gums began to hurt and bleed frequently. At the doctor's appointment I found out that I have periodontitis, and I was prescribed Metrogyl dent gel. I applied it 2 times a day for ten days. Immediately after application, the cooling effect is felt and the pain subsides.
After three days from the beginning of the application, the gums began to look much better. The bleeding went away after about 7 days of use, but I used the drug as much as the dentist ordered. There were no side reactions, now there are no manifestations of periodontitis.