- 1 Metrogil denta - composition and release form
- 2 How does the drug work?
- 3 Indications for use
- 4 Instructions for use
- 5 How to apply gel on the gums?
- 6 Metrogil Denta during pregnancy
- 7 Analogs
- 8 Application Reviews
This article will give instructions on the use of Metrogil Denta Gel. This is a dental drug with antimicrobial properties. It is intended for topical use in the treatment and prevention of oral diseases that are infectious in nature. Among the entire range on the pharmaceutical market, it is Metrogil Denta that is most often used in dental practice. Therefore, it is important to know what therapeutic properties this drug has and how to use it correctly.
Metrogil Denta - Composition and Forms of Release
The therapeutic effect of Metrogyl Dent is due to its composition, which includes two active ingredients:
- Metronidazole benzoate is a substance with antibacterial action. It quickly penetrates into saliva and creates a high concentration bactericidal barrier, effectively destroying the bacteria that provoke periodontal disease.
- Chlorhexidine digluconate (20% solution) is an antiseptic component that can destroy the simplest pathogenic microorganisms, as well as bacteria and herpes virus. Remains active even in the presence of purulent discharge. At the same time, chlorhexidine does not inhibit the vital activity of beneficial lactobacilli.
Dental remedy is realized in the form of a gel in plastic or metal tubes of 5, 10 or 20 g. The price of one tube 20 g on average is 170 rubles.
How does the drug work?
Pharmacological action of the drug is manifested in the suppression of the growth and reproduction of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria that provoke diseases of the oral cavity. The active substances Metrogyl Dent penetrate the DNA of anaerobic pathogens and block the synthesis of bacterial nuclei, which leads to their death. The active substances are also active in relation to yeast disputes.
Metrogyl dentum for the gums has an antiseptic property, disinfects and cleans the oral cavity. When applied topically, it has virtually no systemic effects on the human body due to the low absorbability of the drug.
Indications for use
Dental gel Metrogyl Denta is used for the treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity and periodontal disease. The drug is prescribed for the following pathologies:
- Acute and chronic gingivitis - inflammation of the gums, which occurs without compromising the integrity of the periodontal joint. A progressive form of the disease can turn into periodontitis.
- Periodontitis is an inflammatory disease that affects the tissues and ligaments surrounding a tooth. The gradual development of the disease leads to loosening and tooth loss.
- Periodontal disease is a non-inflammatory disease of the oral cavity, in which the blood supply to the tissues surrounding and holding the tooth is disturbed.
- Aphthous stomatitis - inflammation of the oral mucosa, accompanied by the formation of characteristic painful ulcerations.
- Candida stomatitis is an inflammatory process in the oral cavity caused by the yeast-like fungus Candida. It starts with a lesion of the tongue and can spread to the lips.
- Paratonzillary abscess (paratonsillitis) is an acute inflammatory process, localized in the okolomindalinovogo tissue.
- Periodontal abscess - focal purulent inflammation in periodontal tissues, which is accompanied by pain, swelling and mobility of teeth.
- Cheilitis - inflammation of the lips. The disease is accompanied by swelling, redness, peeling and the appearance of painful ulcers and purulent crusts on the lips.
- The inflammatory process in the oral cavity caused by injury to the mucous membrane.
- Post-extraction alveolitis - a complication after tooth extraction, which manifests itself in the form of an inflammatory process in the hole.
It should be noted that in the treatment of standard forms of stomatitis, Metrogil Denta is not used. The main active ingredients of the drug are not able to affect the viruses, so with the herpetic form of the disease, this medication is useless. In addition, the gel is not effective for allergic stomatitis. In all of the above cases, Metrogil Denta is used as one of the means of complex therapy.
Instructions for use
Since the inflammatory process of the gums, as a rule, develops against the background of microbial plaque, a special cleaning is required before using the drug. After the procedure, the doctor prescribes drug therapy, which includes Metrogil Denta and antiseptic rinses. At the advanced stage of the disease, systemic antibacterial treatment can additionally be prescribed.
Using the gel Metrogyl Dent without cleansing the teeth from plaque and stone gives only a temporary improvement. Patients undergo bleeding gums, swelling decreases. However, in the absence of symptoms, the inflammatory process continues. Over time, the bone tissue of the teeth increases the processes of deformation, which leads to their mobility.
Methods of use of the drug and dosing regimen, depending on the type of disease, are as follows:
- For inflammation of the gums, adults and children from 6 years of age are prescribed two procedures per day. The gel is applied with a finger or with a cotton swab in a thin layer on the gum mucosa. Flush means not necessary. You can eat and drink only half an hour after the procedure. Course duration - at least 7 days and no more than 10 days.
- With periodontitis, periodontal pockets are treated. Further, after the removal of dental plaque, gel applications are applied to the gums. Applications can be done independently at home. Metrogil ointment is applied twice a day. The treatment lasts at least a week.
- When aphthous stomatitis gel is applied to the affected areas twice a day. The duration of the course of treatment depends on the patient's condition, but, as a rule, does not exceed 10 days.
- To prevent complications caused by gengivitis or chronic periodontitis, the gel should also be applied 2 times a day. The course therapy, which lasts 7-10 days, is repeated at least 2 times a year.
- To prevent the development of alveolitis due to tooth extraction, the well is treated with gel immediately after surgery. The procedure is repeated for 7-10 days.
- In case of fungal infections of the oral cavity (candidal stomatitis), the gel is used as an aid in complex therapy. Before use, clean the affected areas of plaque. The gel is applied once a day, and the duration of treatment is at least 7 days.
How to apply gel on gums?
The procedure for the treatment of gums with a gel should be carried out twice a day - in the morning and in the evening. After breakfast, you should thoroughly brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with the recommended antiseptic solution. Chlorhexidine with a concentration of 0.05% is excellent as a conditioner. Such a solution does not require additional dilution.
After the rinse procedure, the oral mucosa should be dried with gauze tampons. It is better to apply Metrogil Denta gum gel in front of a mirror, on a dry surface of the mucous membranes. To do this, you need to squeeze out the amount of the drug on a cotton swab or finger and distribute a thin layer on the edge of the gum closer to the teeth. When applying you need to focus on the front surface of the gums.
After the procedure, it is recommended not to drink about half an hour and not to eat food within 1-2 hours. It should be borne in mind that after treatment with the drug, saliva begins to actively flow. Spitting or storing it in the mouth is not necessary. Before re-treatment in the evening, you should also carefully brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with an antiseptic.
Metrogil Dent during pregnancy
Problems with teeth during childbirth occur very often, so the question whether it is possible to use Metrogil Dent during pregnancy concerns many women. Antibiotic metronidazole, which forms the basis of the drug, is practically not absorbed into the blood and has no systemic effect on the body. However, the use of the gel, according to the instructions, is prohibited in the 1st trimester of pregnancy, as well as during breastfeeding.
Good to know
With the urgent need Metrogyl Denta can be used in nursing women, but only after consulting a doctor. For the period of treatment, the infant is temporarily transferred to infant formula, and after the end of the course of therapy, breastfeeding is resumed.
Contraindications and side effects
The drug is not prescribed for individual intolerance of active substances or auxiliary components. Metrogil cannot be used for children under 6 years of age, as there is a high risk of ingestion of the drug, which entails undesirable complications. Other contraindications (in addition to the 1st trimester of pregnancy and lactation), this drug does not have.
Side effects occur, as a rule, with an overdose of the drug. When this occurs, the following characteristic symptoms:
- stomach upset;
- dizziness and headache;
- allergic reactions (skin rash, itching).
In case of overdose and the occurrence of these symptoms, gastric lavage and appropriate drug therapy are required. Reviews of the drug indicate that side effects are extremely rare.
Metrogil Denta has analogues - drugs that are similar in indications and pharmacological action:
- Holisal - Dental gel with antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. It is used to treat stomatitis, gingivitis, periodontitis, cheilitis and oral candidiasis. The preparation contains tsetalkoniya chloride and choline salicylate. The gel can be used with caution during breastfeeding. The average cost is 250 rubles.
- Metrodent is a dental gel with a similar composition, but cheaper. The indications for use are the same as those of Metrogil Dent. The cost of the drug is 100 rubles.
- Metrohex is a combined antimicrobial drug. Contains all the same metronidazole and chlorhexidine. The cost of the drug - from 140 rubles, but find it in pharmacies is not always possible.
Review number 1
A year ago, an unpleasant story happened to me - the lower gum was inflamed. At first she was engaged in self-treatment - she did rinsing with soda, took anti-inflammatory and painkillers. But after unsuccessful attempts, I had to go to the dentist. The doctor prescribed me injections with vitamin C and Metrogil Dent gel.
The course of treatment lasted two weeks, but by the end of the first one, gums bleeding and swelling had passed. I applied the gel in a thin layer in the morning and in the evening, and after the procedure I neither ate nor drank for an hour. I bought a twenty-gram tube for 150 rubles, and it was enough for the whole course.
Review number 2
After the removal of tartar, the husband started an inflammatory process in the gums. The doctor prescribed him applications using aminocaproic acid and Metrogil Denta gel. Gums were treated twice a day for a week. The next day, there were improvements: the gums did not bleed and looked healthy.
After another couple of days, the pain also passed away. The gel was applied using cotton swabs, it was not necessary to spit it out - it quickly dissolved with saliva.
Larisa, St. Petersburg
Review number 3
Recently, gums have started to hurt and bleed often. At the doctor's office, I learned that I had periodontitis, and Metrogil Dent Gel was prescribed to me. I applied it twice a day for ten days. Immediately after application, the cooling effect is felt and the pain disappears.
After three days from the beginning of the application, the gums began to look much better. Bleeding disappeared after about 7 days of use, but used the drug as much as the dentist ordered. Adverse reactions have been identified, now the manifestations of periodontitis are absent.