In medicine, also called sciatica, spine, because the disease affects the spinal nerve roots. Treatment may medicines, folk remedies, and doctors prescribe ointments, massage and exercise. An excellent way to overcome the ailment is gymnastics and belt from sciatica.
What it is?
Lumbar sciatica, sciatica, sciatica - the names of the musculoskeletal diseases apparatus, which occurs when compression of the spinal roots (nerves extending from the spinal cord) by various structures.
Inflammation of the nerve root develops on the background of the following diseases:
- Myositis. Inflammation in muscle tissue in the lumbar area;
- spondylosis. The focus of inflammation located in the spinal column. The problem arises because of the infectious diseases: syphilis, tuberculosis;
- Viral infections. With current blood and lymph pathogens penetrate the vertebral column, provoke inflammation sensitive spinal roots.
Pinching the nerve tissue in the following cases:
- trauma of various kinds, often fracture or displacement of the vertebrae;
- congenital anomalies of the spine (kyphosis, scoliosis, lordosis);
- chronic disease in the spine: ankylosing spondylitis, osteochondrosis, rheumatoid arthritis, intervertebral hernia.
- diabetes mellitus, impaired thyroid function;
- frequent hypothermia;
- lack of exercise, poor muscular corset;
- older age (vertebrae and cartilage worn);
- high load on the spine when the hard work associated with lifting and moving loads.
The main feature of the pathology - a sharp pain in the lumbar region, extending to the upper thigh. If the infringement of inflammation and nerve root pain spreads to the buttocks, thigh, the front part of the foot, the area of the big toe.
symptoms of sciatica
Clinical manifestations of the lumbar sciatica varies depending on the cause of the disease and the stage of the tide.
But there are common symptoms of sciatica:
- strained back muscles;
- pale and cold skin in the course of a pinched nerve;
- increased sweating;
- pain syndrome;
- increased pain at the spine loads, abrupt movements, coughing, sneezing;
- limitation of movement of the spine;
- the sensitivity of the change on the part of injured nerve;
- weakening of blood supply to the arteries of the foot from injury.
Painful symptoms are transferred to the buttocks, thighs, legs, feet. Symptoms are different for acute and chronic sciatica. Some forms of the lumbar sciatica asymptomatic and may only be detected with X-ray or CT scan.
After consulting a doctor may also recommend performing one or more diagnostic tests. These tests may include:
- X-ray of suspected fracture of the spine;
- nerve conduction studies / electromyography to determine how well the nerve impulses travel via the sciatic nerve;
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (with contraindications to MRI conduct) to create a complete picture of the state of your spine;
- myelogram - a study with the use of a contrast agent is injected into the spinal canal with to detect problems with the vertebrae or discs (research conducted in developing countries, where there is no MR. Research can be dangerous for the patient).
Complete medical history, including a review of symptom and physical examination can help your doctor determine the cause of sciatica. For example, he or she can perform the test with the rise of the straight leg. The doctor slowly raise your leg and noted the pain starts at what level. This test helps to identify zaschemlonnye nerves and determine whether to intervertebral disc problems there.
Effects of lumbar sciatica can be very unpleasant. Illness causing severe pain, resulting in human performance is significantly reduced. Also, sciatica can lead to a heart attack or spinal cord to a paralysis of the limbs.
In any case, if you do not cure sciatica lumbar, each of complications from a healthy person will make a disabled person, so it is it is important not to delay the diagnosis and treatment assignment, a tactic which should be determined by the attending physician and excluded independence.
How to treat?
The first requires the patient at rest. The bed of the patient must be equipped with special orthopedic mattress, which will help to minimize the movement of the affected body part. Gymnastics (moderate physical load) are also shown. Specially designed exercises redistribute the load, resulting in compression of the spine is reduced. They inhibit the process of degeneration in the spine and improve the elasticity of the muscles.
A certain percentage of patients as a result of exercise becomes easier. If a little help, you need to share with your doctor to develop a more structured approach. Depending on the severity of the disease specialist can offer several treatments that take into account the risk of relapse.
Standard medical treatment for sciatica is based on three principles: the removal inflammation, relaxing spasm in response to the pain of the muscles and improve the nutrition of the affected nerve spine.
In most cases, these tools are used, they are usually prescribed by a doctor:
- Injections from sciatica. When expressed pain when tablets do not help, or their use is not allowed, use of blockade and painkillers in the form of injections. Typically used procaine or lidocaine blockade. Also, there are drugs designed specifically to deal with sciatica, and other similar diseases, they include Movalis and Milgamma. These funds are combined, they also include vitamins and other substances.
- Pain pills. Usually use anti-inflammatory pain medications without a prescription. Most often used drugs based on ibuprofen, diclofenac, Ortofen and others. Tablets are advised to use in severe pain, then advised to move to the ointment.
- Mirorelaksanty. If there muscle spasm agent used for its removal. These drugs are usually administered once to stop an attack. Apply Sirdalud and its analogs.
- Ointments from sciatica and degenerative disc disease. The funds for external use pass after removing acute and severe pain. The most common pain-relieving ointments called Finalgon, Nise and their analogs. ointments are also common on the basis of snake venom, the most effective include Viprosal and its analogs.
These are the main drugs and their most common names that are used in the fight against sciatica. They can also be assigned to B vitamins, usually in the form of injections. They help to quickly deal with the disease.
Physiotherapy with radiculitis
In the subacute stage in conjunction with drug therapy is carried out ultraviolet irradiation waist and legs along the affected nerve. Frequently used electrophoresis with different drugs: novocaine solution, a mixture solution of phenol, tetracaine and adrenaline, with virapinovoy ointment. Well it has done electrophoresis with extracts of curative mud. With infectious radiculitis - salicylates with a solution of copper and lithium.
In the acute stage when discogenic radiculitis assigned ultrasound in a pulsed mode, in which as the contact material may be used a mixture of analgesics. As symptoms attenuation applied ultrasound in a pulsed and continuous mode. When the infectious nature sciatica effective combination of ultrasound with hydrogen sulfide and sodium chloride bath.
Performed well diadynamic currents, in which small electrodes are mounted on the exit area of the nerve roots and the course of the affected nerve. When expressed infectious lesion physiotherapy supplemented by injections or hexamine antibiotics (intravenous).
When lumbar sciatica caused osteochondrosis, traction has great importance on an inclined plane. It can be carried out on a simple bed, a headboard is raised by 10-15 cm. The patient's body is fixed at the same level on the head. Traction may be short (2-3 times a day for 10 minutes) and long (up to 2 weeks), depending on individual tolerability.
Therapeutic massage is administered after completion of the acute period of the disease, and is selected for each patient individually, sometimes by a combination of its different types - a tonic, a point, a vacuum, relaxing and so forth.
Massage complex is intended for relief of the patient's specific pathology, improve blood circulation and restore the weakened muscular corset around the spine.
Some forms of massage leads to a complete relaxation of muscles and release of endorphins in the blood - the natural painkillers produced by the body.
Manual therapy - treatment of hands - is a method of therapy aimed at restoring normal mobility of joints of the spine and extremities due to the mechanical action of a doctor hand on the joints, ligaments, muscles and fascia. It relieves pain and restores function of the musculoskeletal system.
Manual therapist uses different techniques:
- Jogging mobilization, accompanied by a sound like clicking or crunching. This, at first glance, awesome, reception is painless, unlike many other, seemingly more lenient.
- spine stretching (traction), which allows to adjust the small disc displacement and protrusion, and reduce a little and intervertebral disc herniation. For this purpose the method of dry and underwater traction depending on the site location of the hernia.
Manual therapy combines the achievements of neurophysiology, orthopedics and neurology at the effective practical mechanism.