- Release form
- Chemical composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Indications for use
- At what age can the drug be taken?
- Instructions for use, dosage
- With neuralgia
- With depression and neurosis
- For insomnia
- With alcoholism
- For pain
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Drug interactions
- Terms, conditions of sale and storage
- Video about the drug Carbamezapine
Carbamazepine is an antiepileptic a medication that is used for neurological diseases. The reviews of many patients who took the drug in courses are positive, which confirms the effectiveness of the drug. A negative opinion of patients is also rare, which is associated with the individual reaction of the body to the components of the composition.
The medicine is produced in the form of tablets intended for oral use according to the scheme determined by the doctor. The tablets are medium in size, round, white or off-white.
The product is packaged in blisters of 10 pieces. In an individual cardboard box, you can find a description of the medicine, indicating the nuances of use, as well as from 1 to 5 plates with tablets. There is also a medicine in large polymer jars. Each of these jars contains 500, 600, 1000 or 1200 tablets.
The can is also placed in a standard carton box.
The main action of the drug is carried out due to the presence in its composition of the substance carbamazepine.
The tablet contains also auxiliary ingredients:
- Silicon dioxide.
- Magnesium stearate.
These components do not have medicinal properties. The amount of carbamazepine per 1 tablet is 200 mg.
Carbamazepine (reviews of patients taking the drug help patients evaluate the result of treatment) refers to antiepileptic drugs with a pronounced effect. The drug has psychotropic properties.
Additionally, doctors note an analgesic, antidiuretic effect when used not only to eliminate signs of epilepsy. The medication is considered effective, even when administered in short courses.
During the period of treatment, patients disappear pain, concomitant manifestations of the pathological condition. There is a decrease in the frequency of attacks if the patient suffers from chronic diseases.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The drug acts quickly, which is considered its advantage over other drugs with similar properties. The mechanism of action of the drug is based on the ability to block certain sodium channels, which leads to blocking the conduction of nerve impulses to tissues.
As a result of the action of the active substance in the composition, the symptoms of many neurological pathologies are eliminated.
The drug also has another effect:
- The medicine has anti-manic properties, which makes it possible to use it for the treatment of mental pathologies. During an exacerbation, taking the medication reduces the frequency of attacks and relieves symptoms. In combination with other medicines, a pronounced result is achieved.
- Antidiuretic properties facilitate kidney function in patients who suffer from paired organ pathologies. In this case, the effect is observed when taken by patients suffering from diabetes insipidus.
- Mild sedation improves the emotional state of patients.
- Antiepileptic properties are important during an exacerbation, when seizures are often observed, provoking concomitant deviations.
- The medication reduces irritability and eliminates nervousness.
- The effect on the patient's cognitive functions is noted.
- It has a positive effect on patients during the period of alcohol withdrawal, reduces the severity of symptoms, and reduces the likelihood of additional disorders.
When using the drug, a change in psychomotor indicators is noted, but they differ in each patient and depend on the dosage taken.
The drug quickly dissolves in the digestive tract, and its active substance enters the systemic circulation and spreads throughout the body. The action occurs quite quickly, but only a course reception allows you to achieve a constant concentration of the component in the blood and achieve the desired effect.
After the action has taken place, the active substance is excreted from the body for 2-3 days. The duration of the period of evacuation of the ingredient may vary depending on the individual characteristics of the patient's body. The presence of deviations from the digestive and urinary organs can lead to a slowdown in the elimination of ingredients from the body.
Indications for use
Carbamazepine is used for various disorders of the nervous system.
Reviews of patients taking the drug confirm the effectiveness in the treatment of pathologies:
- Epilepsy of various forms. The drug is often prescribed for exacerbation of the condition.
- Idiopathic neuralgia.
- Insomnia on the background of neurological pathologies.
- Neuralgia and neuritis in acute form. The tablets are considered effective when used in case of damage to various nerve fibers.
- Withdrawal Syndrome. The medicine is used mainly for patients suffering from a chronic form of alcoholism, as well as concomitant neurological diseases, which are exacerbated during the period of drinking and sharp abandoning it.
- A depressive state that occurs in patients as a result of disorders of the nervous system.
- Chronic or acute neurosis.
- Polyneuropathy. The medicine is usually used in the acute stage of the disease.
- Pains of neurological origin. For example, with shingles, patients experience severe pain in the affected area. They are not relieved by conventional analgesics, so an antiepileptic medication is required.
- Acute and chronic mental disorders such as schizophrenia, panic attacks.
- Senile dementia.
- Multiple sclerosis.
The remedy is often included in the course of the main treatment for certain neurological diseases that do not provoke acute symptoms.
An effective medication has some contraindications for prescribing it to patients.
The main barriers to treatment are:
- Diagnosis of symptoms of atrioventricular block.
- The active phase of alcoholism, when the patient consumes a large amount of alcohol every day. The drug can provoke severe complications when used.
- Hyperplasia of the prostate gland.
- Intolerance to the ingredients in the composition of the medication.
- Decompensated form of chronic heart failure.
- Severe pathologies of the liver and kidneys.
- Exacerbation of gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer.
- Internal bleeding against the background of injuries, lesions of the mucous membrane of the digestive tract.
- Hypersensitivity to drugs from the group of tricyclic antidepressants.
- Severe hypothyroidism.
- Identification of insufficiency of the adrenal cortex.
- Suppression of the work of the red bone marrow.
- Increased intraocular pressure. Sometimes the medicine is allowed to be used in short courses when an urgent need arises.
During pregnancy and breastfeeding, the medication is used only if necessary and as directed by a doctor. Throughout the entire period of admission, careful monitoring of the woman's condition is required.
At what age can the drug be taken?
Carbamazepine (reviews of patients who took the drug are usually based on the experience of course use) is prescribed mainly to patients over 18 years of age.
Official instructions indicate the possibility of using the drug for children, but other dosage forms based on such an active substance are usually used.
Instructions for use, dosage
The medicine is intended only for oral use, it is important to drink the tablets with plenty of water. The standard therapeutic regimen involves taking 2-10 tablets per day, depending on the symptoms and the specific disease.
The maximum daily dosage is 2000 mg, that is, 10 tablets of 200 mg. When prescribing an increased dose, it is recommended to divide it by 3-4 times during the day, which will allow to have a uniform effect on the body. For each patient, the treatment regimen is adjusted individually, depending on the course of the pathological condition.
Diagnosing neuralgia involves the use of several drugs. Carbamazepine is indicated for administration for 2-4 weeks, depending on the body's response to the drug. The initial dosage per day is 200 mg. Take it at a time, preferably in the evening.
Gradually, the dosage is increased to 400 mg, divided into 2 doses during the day. With such a violation, the maximum daily dose does not exceed 800 mg, it is divided by 2-4 times and taken during the day with approximately equal time intervals. Repetition of the course and dose adjustment is agreed with the doctor.
With depression and neurosis
Depression is treated with 400 mg daily for 3 weeks. If necessary, the course can be extended and the dosage increased if the desired therapeutic effect is not observed. The maximum daily dose for patients does not exceed 1200 mg, that is, 6 tablets.
Neuroses can be treated for 4-6 weeks, especially in severe cases and complications in patients. The initial dose does not exceed 600 mg, but if necessary, it can be increased to 1600 mg. A prerequisite for therapy is the division of the daily dose into several doses during the day.
The drug for insomnia is used only when it is provoked by neurological disorders. The medication is taken in the evening, and the dosage per day does not exceed 400 mg.
If there is no result from the application within 2 weeks, it is allowed to refuse therapy and visit a doctor. Perhaps the patient requires the appointment of another medication.
Carbamazepine (reviews of patients taking the drug for alcoholism, mostly positive) are used only after the patient refuses to take alcoholic beverages. In the active stage, when the patient takes alcohol, the medication is contraindicated.
The initial dosage for the patient is 600 mg per day. It is gradually increased to 1200 mg per day, taken in equal portions throughout the day. For 1 time, the rate per day is increased by no more than 200 mg. This means that the dose increases gradually. The duration of use depends on the neglect of the condition, but on average, the patient needs at least 3 weeks.
The neurological pain is considered to be very severe, so conventional analgesics do not help relieve the patient's condition. Neuralgia, neuritis, shingles are accompanied by such pain.
The dosage of the drug at the initial stage is 200 mg. It is also recommended to divide it into 2 doses during the day. If the desired effect is not achieved, the dose is gradually increased by 100-200 mg at a time. The maximum daily allowance for pain does not exceed 1200 mg. The duration of therapy is determined individually, the drug is used until the pain disappears.
The medicine often provokes negative reactions, even if the rules are followed, which is explained by the pronounced effect on the body.
|Damage area||Frequent negative reactions|
|Nervous system||Headache, dizziness, weakness and drowsiness are observed when taking the drug. Patients note a deterioration in the functioning of the brain, possibly a temporary impairment of speech, the development of nystagmus.|
|Digestive tract||Nausea and bouts of vomiting can be troubling for patients when using the medication. Patients also report poor appetite, flatulence, and upset stools.|
|Respiratory system||Shortness of breath, dry cough, asthma attacks are often observed in violation of the instructions.|
|Blood system||Hematopoietic disorders are considered the most common reaction from the blood system.|
|Vessels and heart||Deterioration of the heart, impaired blood circulation is noted during therapy. Often, patients develop arrhythmias and tachycardia.|
|Genitourinary system||During therapy, the appearance of blood and protein in the urine, increased urination and impaired sexual function are possible.|
|Senses, skin||A temporary deterioration in vision, hearing and taste perception is observed in patients who take the drug for a long time in an increased dosage. Allergies are less common, but are accompanied by rashes, itching and flaking of the skin.|
The severity of reactions directly depends on the dosage and duration of the drug.
Carbamazepine (reviews of patients taking the drug may be negative, due to the development complications) can provoke an overdose when used in high doses for a long period.
The condition is accompanied by the aggravation of all negative reactions, repeated vomiting during the day, disruption of the work of the most important centers of the brain. One of the dangerous complications of an overdose is a dysfunction of the respiratory system, which is accompanied by suffocation. In the absence of timely treatment, the symptom can be fatal.
The drug does not have a specific antidote, therefore, when signs of an overdose appear, symptomatic therapy is prescribed. Manifestations can not be ignored or taken any medication on their own.
During the period of therapy, the patient is advised to regularly visit a doctor who will assess the effectiveness, if necessary, increase the dosage or extend the course. If the agent is used as monotherapy, the initial dosage is always minimal.
A gradual increase in the daily rate provides an effect and reduces the likelihood of complications as a result. If there is no effect, it is not recommended to stop using it on your own. Only a doctor can decide to stop taking the pills.
Rifampicin, Phenobarbital and some other drugs reduce the concentration of carbamazepine in the blood.
Many drugs, when taken simultaneously, can increase the level of the main substance, therefore, they are used with caution:
It is not recommended to use it simultaneously with tricyclic antidepressants, as the likelihood of developing psychosis increases. When combined with any medication, the preliminary concentration of the doctor is required.
If it is impossible to use the drug, its analogues with similar therapeutic properties can be used:
- Tegretol - a tablet preparation based on carbamazepine, which is often used for patients in order to eliminate signs of neurological diseases. The presence of a similar active substance makes the medication just as effective.
- Finlepsin contains carbamazepine, is available in tablet form and has antiepileptic, analgesic properties. The drug has a long list of indications, it is used mainly in the diagnosis of neurological diseases at different stages.
Substitutes should be prescribed by a physician, despite their similar composition and therapeutic properties.
Terms, conditions of sale and storage
The drug can be bought at different pharmacies only after presenting a prescription form. Its shelf life is 3 years, the production date is indicated on the packaging.
During storage, you should pay attention to the absence of moisture and direct sunlight.
The cost of the medication ranges from 120-300 rubles. depending on the pharmaceutical company and the region of distribution.
Carbamazepine is considered an effective antiepileptic drug. The reviews of most patients who took the drug in short and long courses may be different, depending on the body's response to the action of the main ingredient.
Video about the drug Carbamezapine