- Release form
- Chemical composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Indications for use
- At what age can the drug be used?
- Instructions for use, dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Drug interactions
- List of analogues
- Terms, conditions of sale and storage
- The price of the drug and analogues
- Video about the drug Depakine
Depakine Chrono is a French anticonvulsant drug. It can be purchased with a dosage of the main component of 300 and 500 mg. The drug stands out among the drugs of similar action with proven and high efficiency, and Depakine Chrono has an acceptable price, not higher than its substitutes.
Depakine Chrono with a dosage of 500 mg are oblong tablets, coated with a white shell. The medication has a delayed action, and each tablet has a notch for easy dividing. The drug is placed in a white plastic jar in the amount of 30 tablets. To prevent the tablets from absorbing moisture, they are packed together with a desiccant. The jar is in a cardboard container along with instructions.
Depakine Chrono (500 mg), the price of which is indicated in the article below, has a therapeutic effect due to the following composition:
|List of components||Component Description|
|Sodium valproate||The substance has antiepileptic and anticonvulsant effects.|
|Valproic acid||The element has an antiepileptic and sedative effect, and also reduces muscle tone.|
|Hypromellose 4000||The component has moisturizing and lubricating properties.|
|Anhydrous colloidal silicon dioxide||The component attracts toxins and harmful substances and promotes their rapid removal from the body.|
|Titanium dioxide||The substance is necessary to give the tablets a white color.|
|Sodium saccharinate||The element is used to give the tablets a sweet taste.|
|Talc||The component has a "slippery" texture and makes it easier to swallow the drug.|
|Hydrated coloidal silicon dioxide||The component promotes the removal of harmful elements from the body.|
|Macrogol 600||The substance has a laxative effect, accelerating the removal of toxins and harmful substances from the body.|
|Ethyl cellulose||The element allows the tablets to maintain their preset shape, and also slows down the absorption of active ingredients.|
|Hypromellose||The substance facilitates the swallowing of tablets due to its lubricating properties.|
|Polyacrylate 30%||The component creates a strong, transparent protective film on the tablets.|
The concentration of active ingredients in this form of release is 500 mg. This is 333 mg sodium valprate and 145 mg valproic acid.
Depakine chrono belongs to the group of drugs with anticonvulsant action.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
Depakine Chrono (500 mg), the price of which is in the middle segment, thanks to its composition, helps to eliminate the symptoms caused by an epileptic attack:
- relaxes muscles;
- acting on the cells of the nervous system and on the brain, prevents or eliminates convulsions that have already arisen;
- has a calming effect;
- accelerates the removal of harmful substances from tissues and the body;
- helps to weaken the process of defecation for a faster removal of harmful substances from the body.
The active ingredients completely penetrate into the bloodstream, into the brain and into the extracellular fluid. In this case, the effect of the medication can persist up to 4 days after the end of the course. The components of the medication are excreted in the urine.
Important. The medication has a delayed action, therefore, even with a one-time intake, the concentration of active substances remains in the blood for 24 hours. At the same time, there are no sharp jumps in the value of the drug in the blood. An improvement in well-being is observed after about 1-1.5 months of using the medication.
Indications for use
Depakine chrono with a dosage of 500 mg is prescribed by doctors for the following indications:
- Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. The disease is considered childhood epilepsy and occurs with a delay in neuropsychic development;
- elimination of epileptic seizures of any form;
- various mental disorders caused by impaired brain function.
Depakine chrono can also be prescribed to prevent the development of mental disorders in the presence of a tendency to this pathology.
Depakine Chrono tablets can be used after a doctor's prescription, since the drug has a large list of contraindications that can only be excluded by the attending specialist:
- hypersensitivity to the components of the tablets or allergy to the components;
- violation of the state of tissues and liver function. Or the presence of a tendency to diseases of this organ (for example, parents and other close relatives have liver disease);
- patient weight less than 17 kg;
- pronounced violation of tissue respiration and energy exchange;
- increased formation of ammonia in the body, which provokes a disruption of the nervous system, as it has a destructive effect on cells;
- violation of the condition and activity of the pancreas in severe form;
- carrying a child, as well as the period of breastfeeding;
- violation of the production and action of enzymes;
- violation of the process of hematopoiesis, accompanied by a change in the composition of the blood;
- the presence of renal failure;
- a marked decrease in the amount of protein in the blood.
When planning a pregnancy, Depakine Chrono tablets should also not be used. In this case, the patient is transferred to alternative therapy. The ban is justified by the development of various pathologies and defects in the fetus as a result of taking the drug.
At what age can the drug be used?
Depakine Chrono is allowed to be used after the child reaches 6 years of age (at an earlier age, children can choke on the pill, and it can also get into the respiratory tract), but on condition that the weight of the "young patient" more than 17 kg. If a child is underweight, it is not recommended to use the drug.
Instructions for use, dosage
Depakine Chrono 500 mg should be taken at the prescribed dosage with meals. In this case, the daily dose must be divided into 1 or 2 doses. The doctor can additionally announce the price of the prescribed course.
Dosing features of Depakin chrono tablets, taking into account the patient's weight and the type of pathology:
|Purpose of admission||Body mass||Dosage (amount of mg of the drug per 1 kg of patient weight) per day||
|Lennox-Gastaut syndrome||20-30 kg||5 mg with dose escalation up to 20 mg||The course is long and can last for years.|
|30-60 kg||5-10 mg with an increase in dose to 15 mg.|
|More than 60 kg||10 mg no dosage increase|
|Mild epilepsy||20-30 kg||5 mg up to 25 mg||The duration of therapy can be about a year.|
|30-60 kg||5-10 mg with increasing dose up to 20 mg|
|More than 60 kg||10 mg up to 15 mg|
|Moderate epilepsy||20-30 kg||5 mg with increasing dose up to 30 mg||The duration of the course is set individually.|
|30-60 kg||5-10 mg with increasing dose up to 25 mg|
|More than 60 kg||10 mg with increasing dose up to 20 mg|
|Severe epilepsy||20-30 kg||5 mg in increments to 30 mg||The duration of taking the pills is prescribed by the doctor for the general improvement of the patient's condition.|
|30-60 kg||5-10 mg with increasing dose up to 25 mg|
|More than 60 kg||10 mg gradually increased to 20 mg|
|Mental Disorders Caused by Impaired Brain||20-30 kg||5 mg with dose escalation up to 20 mg||The duration of treatment depends on the dynamics of improvement in the patient's condition.|
|30-60 kg||5 mg with an increase in dose to 15 mg|
|More than 60 kg||5 mg up to 15 mg|
|Prevention of the development of mental disorders||20-30 kg||5 mg with increasing dose up to 10 mg||On average, the course can be from 3 to 6 months.|
|30-60 kg||5 mg, if necessary, the dose is increased to 10 mg|
|More than 60 kg||5 mg no dosage increase|
The initial dosage for monotherapy with Depakine Chrono tablets is 5-10 mg, used per 1 kg of body weight (the initial average daily dose is approximately 750 mg). Then, every 4-7 days, the dose should be increased by 5 mg until control over the attacks of allergies is achieved (the average approximate daily dose varies from 1000 to 2000 mg).
The increase in dosage is carried out strictly under the supervision of a physician. After the end of the course, the dosage of the medication must also be gradually reduced to the initial one.
Important. The tablets should not be bitten or chewed. But it is allowed to split the tablet to obtain the required dosage of the drug. It should also be borne in mind that the data provided in the table are approximate, only a doctor can prescribe the exact dose.
The doctor, before prescribing Depakine Chrono tablets, must warn the patient that taking the medication can cause the development of the following side effects:
- rash, choking, redness of the skin and other signs of allergy symptoms, if an allergic reaction to the composition of the tablets has not been excluded;
- loose and frequent stools, the symptom disappears in about a week from the start of treatment;
- vomiting, which often occurs immediately after taking the pill;
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Pathology is an acute allergic reaction, manifested by various rashes on the skin and mucous tissues, which are malignant;
- deterioration of blood coagulability, in connection with this, the time to stop bleeding is significantly increased;
- confusion and impaired consciousness;
- slight tremor of the hands;
- vascular inflammation;
- an increase or a sharp decrease in the patient's weight;
- increased appetite;
- Fanconi syndrome. The disease is hereditary and is characterized by impaired absorption and assimilation of glucose, phosphates and amino acids;
- polymorphic erythema. Pathology is an acute or infectious allergic reaction and is expressed by spots, papules and erosions on the skin and internal organs;
- severe nausea, the symptom may be present for the entire period of treatment;
- stomach pain or abdominal cramping;
- an increase in the amount of ammonia, which disrupts the activity of the cells of the nervous system;
- a decrease in the number of platelets in the blood;
- severe hair loss, can lead to complete baldness;
- change in hair structure: color change, straight lines may begin to curl, and curly ones may become straight;
- constant desire to sleep;
- parkinsonism. The disease is manifested by tremors, increased muscle tone;
- necrosis of skin tissue of a toxic nature;
- lethargy. The patient slows down all vital processes (metabolism, physiological and biochemical). At first, a person becomes lethargic and slow, then he falls asleep, but there are no responses to external stimuli;
- coma. In extremely rare cases;
- the development of internal or nosebleeds;
- increased red blood cells;
- deficiency of all blood cells;
- deterioration of kidney activity, expressed by a decrease in the amount of urine and the appearance of puffiness;
- violation or absence of menstruation in women;
- an increase in the size of the mammary glands;
- severe liver dysfunction;
- stupor. Deviation is manifested by immobility and a weak reaction to external stimuli;
- development of dementia, deterioration of thinking;
- violation of hematopoiesis;
- deterioration of the pancreas;
- a decrease in the amount of iron in the blood, which is necessary for the normal functioning of the whole organism;
- decrease in the level of leukocytes. They protect the body from infection and other foreign substances;
- the development of malignant or benign tumors;
- hearing impairment or loss;
- double vision;
- the appearance of hallucinations;
- decreased bone density;
- dizziness that disappears within about 30 minutes after taking the pill;
- violation of the functioning of the lymphatic system;
- the development of ulcers in the oral cavity caused by a fungal infection;
- oxygen starvation of tissues. Deviation is expressed by severe weakness;
- men may develop infertility;
- the appearance of mental abnormalities;
- urinary incontinence;
- accumulation of fluid in the pleural cavity (the cavity surrounds each lung), as a result, breathing worsens;
- increased symptoms of epilepsy. It manifests itself mainly at the beginning of the drug intake.
All of these symptoms are reversible, that is, after the drug is discontinued, the state of the body is restored within 3-4 days.
Important. It is to reduce the likelihood of these symptoms manifesting, it is necessary to take Depakine Chrono tablets together with food.
Depakine Chrono (500 mg), the price of which varies from place of purchase, should be taken strictly at the prescribed dosage.
The use of the medication inside in large quantities (accidentally or on purpose) can cause the following symptoms:
- severe vomiting (blood may be present in the vomit) and fecal incontinence;
- falling into a coma or lethargic sleep;
- complete loss of consciousness and memory;
- hearing loss and blindness;
- the development of severe seizures;
- unbearable headache;
- very severe abdominal pain;
- severe muscle weakness, manifested by the immobility of the victim;
- severe constriction of the pupil;
- violation of acid-base balance, while acidity increases significantly;
- pronounced deterioration in breathing;
- death of skin cells;
- deviations in the work of the nervous system (due to poisoning of the body with ammonia) of an irreversible nature due to the death of several nerve cells;
- swelling of the brain and increased intracranial pressure;
- failure of the liver;
- severe disruption of the kidneys and pancreas;
- the subsequent development of infertility;
- violation of the composition of the blood (a sharp drop in the level of iron, leukocytes and platelets);
- development or exacerbation of cancer;
- a sharp drop in blood pressure;
In case of poisoning, emergency gastric lavage is required (effective if no more than 10 hours have passed after taking the tablets), followed by the use of sorbents. At the same time, you must immediately call an ambulance. Even with mild poisoning, it is required to check all vital organs in working order. The hospital provides symptomatic therapy and, if necessary, hardware purification of the blood.
Depakine Chrono tablets with a dosage of 500 mg must be used in compliance with the rules listed below, then the likelihood of side effects is significantly reduced:
- when completing the course, it is required to check the condition and function of the liver every 20-30 days;
- control the time of blood clotting, especially if surgery is to be done or hematomas, blood in the feces begin to appear;
- with prolonged therapy (especially with a high dosage), it is necessary to control the activity of the pancreas;
- the drug is not used in children under 3 years of age. From 3 to 6 it is allowed to use the medication, but only in a hospital setting;
- all side effects that appear should be immediately informed by the attending specialist;
- the patient may have suicidal thoughts, so he should be regularly monitored by relatives;
- the drug can cause an exacerbation of diabetes mellitus, therefore, this group of patients is under special control;
- it is strictly forbidden to combine Depakine Chrono with alcohol intake, since alcoholic beverages increase the load on the liver;
- if possible, you should not prescribe medication to girls and women of childbearing age, since it use can cause the development of pathologies and deformities in the fetus (even if pregnancy is not planned in soon);
- Depakine Chrono causes a violation of the production of enzymes, therefore, the activity of the digestive tract should be monitored;
- the use of the drug often provokes weight gain, so the doctor should prescribe a sparing diet to the patient;
- the drug contributes to the progression of HIV infection;
- patients over 65 years of age should use the drug under the regular supervision of a physician.
With the correct administration of Depakine Chrono tablets, all of the above side effects (provided that they appear in mild form), in addition to allergies, disappear within about 6 months, as the body adapts to the drug means.
If you want to use Depakin Chrono tablets in combination treatment (the presence of other chronic pathologies, colds), then a specialist consultation is necessary, since the drug is not combined with all medicinal means.
Depakine Chrono should be used with caution with the following medications:
- you can not combine Depakine Chrono with other medicines that are used to eliminate seizures, as the severity of side effects from both medicines increases;
- St. John's wort extract and Mefloquine (a drug for the treatment of malaria) should not be used simultaneously with Depakine Chrono, since they significantly reduce the effect of Depakine Chrono;
- medications, the side effect of which is the development of seizures and Depakine Chrono increase the likelihood of an exacerbation of epilepsy;
- Depakine Chrono reduces the effectiveness of drugs used to increase the amount of enzymes;
- blood thinners increase the likelihood of internal bleeding;
- antibiotics enhance the effectiveness of the drug;
- sedatives and drugs to normalize the functioning of the nervous system increase the severity of the negative reaction from taking Depakine Chrono.
As a result, it is important to warn the attending physician, when prescribing a medication, about the medications already taken.
List of analogues
Depakine chrono (500 mg), the price of which can be checked with a doctor, is an effective drug, but its use is dangerous due to the development of severe side effects, upon the identification of which the doctor can replace the following drugs:
- Konvulex. Delayed-release pills. On prescription. 250 rubles;
- Depakine. Syrup. On prescription. RUB 260;
- Depakine Chronosphere. Delayed action granules. On prescription. RUB 260;
- Encorat. Pills. On prescription. RUB 400;
- Encorat Chrono. Delayed-release pills. On prescription. RUB 400;
- Diphenin. Pills. On prescription. RUB 100;
- Carbamazepine. Pills. On prescription. 200 rubles;
- Pagluferal. Pills. On prescription. 200 rubles;
- Zeptol. Pills. On prescription. RUB 100
Important. The selection of an analogue is carried out strictly by a doctor.
Terms, conditions of sale and storage
Depakine Chrono tablets are a prescription drug. At home, store the drug at a temperature not exceeding 25 degrees and in a dark place. Additionally, the place should be away from children. If the instructions are followed, the duration of storage of the medication is 36 months from the date of issue.
The price of the drug and analogues
The cost for a package of tablets in the amount of 30 pcs. and with a dosage of 500 mg varies from 600 to 670 rubles. Also, in the Internet pharmacy, the product can be purchased for a special offer with a significant discount.
Depakine Chrono is popular among patients due to the high effectiveness of the tablets in eliminating the symptoms of epilepsy. At the same time, when choosing a drug with a dosage of 500 mg, it is necessary to correctly calculate the daily dose, and also to increase it correctly. In addition, you need to be wary if the price of a medication is greatly understated (the drug is either expired, or it is a fake).
Auto: Kotlyachkova Svetlana
Video about the drug Depakine
Depakine principle of action: