- Release form
- Chemical composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Indications for use
- Instructions for use, dosage for adults
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Drug interactions
- List of analogues
- Terms, conditions of sale and storage
- The price of the drug and analogues
- Video about the drug Pirantel
Pirantel is an anthelmintic drug, which is produced by pharmaceutical companies in Russia, India and Poland. The product can be purchased in 2 medicinal forms: tablets and suspension. In this case, the first form of release is used mainly for the treatment of adults, and the second, for the elimination of parasites in children (but it is also possible for adults).
Suspension Pirantel is a light yellow solution with a homogeneous texture and thickness similar to liquid sour cream. During storage, sediment may form, therefore, the drug must be shaken well before use. The suspension is placed in an amount of 15 ml in vials made of dark brown glass. Together with the bottle in a cardboard box there is a measuring glass for accurate dosing of the product.
Pirantel is a suspension for adults, which includes the following components:
|List of components||Component characteristics|
|The main component|
|Pirantel||The substance has a paralyzing effect on helminths, as a result, "parasites" in a short time leave the body with feces.|
|Sucrose||The element extends the shelf life of the slurry and gives it a sweet taste.|
|Xanthan gum||The component acts as a thickener and suspension stabilizer.|
|Sorbic acid||It is a preservative and has an antibacterial effect, slowing down the process of bacterial reproduction. In this case, the component does not affect the taste and consistency of the suspension.|
|Polysorbate 80||The element is needed to combine the components used.|
|Methyl parahydroxybenzoate||The component is used as a preservative and has a powerful antiseptic effect.|
|70% sorbitol solution||The substance has a laxative and choleretic effect, also gives the suspension a sweet taste and promotes the rapid removal of toxins from tissues and the body.|
|Propyl parahydroxybenzoate||The element extends the storage of the suspension.|
|Flavors: "chocolate" and "ice cream"||The ingredients give the product a pleasant aroma and taste.|
|Purified water||The component combines all the components of the suspension, and is also necessary to give the agent the desired concentration.|
In this case, 5 ml of the suspension contains 250 mg of the main component.
Suspension Pirantel belongs to the group of anthelmintic drugs.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
Pirantel is a suspension for adults that has an anthelmintic effect by immobilizing parasites, as a result, helminths are removed from the digestive tract naturally due to peristalsis. In this case, the main component paralyzes not only adults, but also "young" helminths. But the larvae do not lend themselves to the action of the main component. In this regard, it is required to take the drug again after about 10 days.
In addition to the anthelmintic effect, Pirantel has:
- disinfecting effect, contributing to the destruction of pathogenic microflora;
- activates the removal of harmful substances from the body, as well as toxins that worms release in the process of life;
- normalizes the withdrawal of bile;
- has a mild laxative effect, accelerating the removal of worms from the digestive tract with feces.
The active substance of the suspension practically does not penetrate into the blood and is excreted from the body with feces.
Indications for use
The Pirantel suspension is prescribed for adults if the following parasites are detected in the digestive tract:
|Pathology name||Causative agent||Infection symptoms|
|Enterobiasis||The causative agents are pinworms, reaching a length of no more than 1 cm.
Parasites are dangerous by a violation of the state of tissues (development of inflammation processes) of the intestine and genitourinary system.
|Ankylostomiasis, including non-kotorosis||The causative agents are round helminthic invasions with a length of 5 to 13 mm.
Parasites must be completely destroyed. If the pathology is started, then it is possible that a lethal outcome will develop due to impaired renal function, severe anemia and severe blood loss (parasites stick to mucous membranes and leave bleeding wounds).
|Ascariasis||The causative agents are roundworms (roundworms) 15 to 40 cm long.
In the absence of therapy, parasites can cause the development of mechanical constipation. And also, roundworms can settle in any organs and cause a pronounced violation of their activity.
|Trichocephalosis||The causative agents are round helminths (vlasovka) with a length of 3 to 5.5 cm.
Parasites disrupt the condition and functioning of not only the digestive tract, but also the nervous system.
The suspension is allowed to be taken for prophylactic purposes in cases: when animals live at home (especially if they visit the street), or if there was close contact with a person infected with parasites.
It is forbidden to take Pirantel suspension in the following cases:
- the patient is less than 6 months old;
- intolerance to the composition of the suspension;
- when carrying a child, you can use the remedy only with the permission of a doctor, since the effect of Pirantel on the fetus has not been studied;
- severe muscle weakness, especially a violation of intestinal motility;
- liver failure.
Important. It is strictly forbidden to combine the Pirantel suspension with the intake of alcoholic beverages, since the load on the liver increases greatly and the simultaneous intake of funds can lead to the refusal of the organ in work. It should also be borne in mind that during breastfeeding, for the period of taking the drug, it is required to transfer the baby to artificial feeding.
Instructions for use, dosage for adults
It is recommended to take Pirantel suspension in the morning, during breakfast, or 20 minutes before taking it. It should be borne in mind that the dosage of the drug for adults depends on weight and pathology.
Dosing rules for Pirantel suspension for adults:
|Purpose of admission||Dosage and course||Notes (edit)|
|Enterobiasis||0.2 ml of suspension for each 1 kg of patient weight. The course lasts 1 day. It is advisable to use the drug in the morning. But it is allowed to use the product at lunchtime.||Re-taking Pirantel is required 14 days after the first use of the product. This time is enough for the larvae to mature to young individuals.|
|Ankylostomiasis||0.4 ml of Pirantel for every 1 kg of patient weight. Divide the received dose into 2-3 doses. The duration of therapy is from 2 to 3 days.||3-4 weeks after the first dose of the drug, a repeat of the course is required. Further, after 30 and 60 days, tests are taken to confirm complete recovery.|
|Necatorosis||0.2-0.4 ml of the drug per 1 kg of the patient's weight. The calculated dose is divided into 2 doses. Course 3 days.||A repetition of the course is required in 7-10 days. In this case, the dosage of the drug can be reduced.|
|Ascariasis||0.25 ml of the drug for each 1 kg of patient weight. The duration of treatment is only 1 day.||2 weeks after taking Pirantel, the course should be repeated. The dose of the drug may be reduced.|
|Trichocephalosis||0.4 ml of Pirantel for every 1 kg of patient weight. Divide the dose into 2 doses. Course 2 days.||A repetition of the course is necessary in 3-4 weeks. In this case, the dosage does not change.|
|Prevention of infection||Take 5 ml of suspension, once in the morning. The duration of therapy is 1 day.||If helminths are found in the feces, then reapplication of the product is required after 3 weeks.|
Before using the suspension, the bottle with the product must be shaken well to form a solution with a uniform consistency.
After using the Pirantel suspension, in order to reduce the likelihood of re-infection, doctors discuss with the patient the following rules for the prevention of pathology:
- wash hands before every meal, as well as every time after doing dirty work and after using the toilet;
- to wash vegetables and fruits not with plain water, but with special detergents;
- do not eat raw eggs, meat and unboiled milk;
- do not drink raw water, and also do not swallow water in the sea, on the river, in the pools;
- do not walk barefoot on the beaches, as some helminth larvae enter the body through the skin;
- after completing the course, wash and iron all linen well, including bedding.
If there are animals in the house, you should take the Pirantel suspension in a prophylactic dose every 12 months.
The course of taking Pirantel suspension is rather short (1-3 days), but even with a single use of the drug, the development of the following side effects is possible:
- drowsiness. May persist for 24 hours after taking the drug;
- headache with different intensity of manifestation;
- lack of sleep or worsening falling asleep;
- dizziness, mild or severe;
- vomit. Despite the neutral taste of the suspension, its intake may cause vomiting;
- abdominal pain as a result of the development of cramps;
- weight loss due to decreased appetite;
- the appearance of pulling and burning pain in the rectum;
- hives, rhinitis, choking and other allergy symptoms;
- weakness and fatigue;
- confusion or impaired consciousness;
- tingling in the limbs;
- noise or ringing in your ears;
- vision of hallucinations;
- flushed face;
- temperature increase;
- violation of the condition of liver tissue and deterioration of the organ.
Not all side effects require immediate discontinuation of the drug. Therefore, if the use of the product has caused the appearance of some points of negative reaction, then this should be reported to the doctor. Further, the specialist will change the dose or select an analogue.
When a suspension is taken in a large dose, the likelihood of developing poisoning is extremely small, since the drug practically does not penetrate into the bloodstream and is completely excreted from the body.
But it is possible in case of an overdose of the following side effects:
- profuse vomiting or severe nausea;
- frequent and loose stools;
- disruption of the cardiovascular system, can manifest itself as pain in the heart, increased heart rate;
- severe shortness of breath;
- oxygen starvation of tissues;
- the victim may fall asleep;
- gait disturbance due to dizziness;
- severe pain and cramps in the abdomen or intestines;
- lack of appetite;
- impaired consciousness;
- detachment from reality;
- loss of hearing or vision;
- the development of fainting;
- fever with fever;
- the victim sweats a lot;
- limb cramps;
- lowering blood pressure;
- severe damage to liver tissue.
If no more than 30 minutes have passed after swallowing the suspension, then gastric lavage and the intake of sorbents will be effective. If more time has passed, then the victim is given sorbents, and then symptomatic therapy is applied. There is no antidote to the remedy.
Pirantel is a suspension for adults that must be taken with special instructions:
- if vomiting occurs after taking the suspension for 20-30 minutes, then the drug can be taken again. But it is advisable to postpone the manipulations to another day, since the use of the medication can immediately cause vomiting again;
- It is imperative to shake the bottle with the agent, since the main component settles to the bottom of the container during storage, as a result, the desired therapeutic effect cannot be achieved;
- in the presence of liver pathologies in a mild form, or, in the case of a weakening of the body with a severe infectious disease, the suspension should be used with the permission of a doctor and at an individual dose;
- laxatives will not speed up the removal of paralyzed worms from the intestines;
- with severe muscle weakness, the remedy is not effective;
- if helminths are found in one of the family members, then all the closest relatives in contact with the infected should take the suspension;
- after taking the drug, follow the rules for the prevention of infection with helminths.
Driving vehicles, as well as performing dangerous work, should not be within 3-5 days after taking the suspension, since Pirantel affects vision, can cause severe drowsiness and dizziness.
Interesting to know. Pirantel suspension can be used to eliminate helminths in pets.
The Pirantel suspension is not prescribed simultaneously with the following drugs:
- sorbents attract the components of the drug and remove them from the body, not allowing them to have a therapeutic effect;
- Pyrantel and the anthelmintic agent Levamisole can provoke serious poisoning of the body with toxins;
- the suspension improves the absorption of Theophylline (bronchodilator), as a result, a decrease in the dosage of the latter is required.
Piperazine significantly reduces the anthelmintic properties of Pirantel.
List of analogues
Pirantel is a suspension for adults, which can be replaced by the following analogs:
|Name of substitutes||Main component||Application notes|
|Helmitox. Suspension. RUB 150 on prescription.||The main substance (pyrantel) is contained in an amount of 125 mg per 5 ml of suspension. Due to the identical main substance, the drug has a similar effect.||Since the analogue contains an identical main component, all the characteristics of the analogue are close to the original.|
|Nemocide. Suspension. RUB 50 Over the counter.||The main component (pyrantel) is contained in an amount of 250 ml in 5 ml of the drug. The healing effect of the medication is similar to the original.||The substitute has an identical active substance, so all characteristics are similar to Pirantel.|
|Vermox. Suspension. RUB 150 on prescription.||The main component (mebendazole) is contained in an amount of 100 mg per 5 ml. The drug disrupts the energy processes in helminths causing their death.||The rules for using the drug, contraindications, as well as side effects, dosage and interaction are close to Pirantel.|
|Wormin. Pills. RUB 170 over the counter.||The active ingredient (mebendazole) is contained in an amount of 100 mg per 1 tablet. Helminths die from the action of the drug as a result of a violation of energy metabolism.||The subtleties of dosing, as well as prohibitions, side effects and special instructions for use are close to the Pirantel suspension.|
|Decaris. Pills. RUB 100 On prescription.||The main component (levamisole) is contained in an amount of 50 and 150 mg per tablet, disrupts vital processes in helminths, and also has a paralyzing effect.||The scheme for taking the analogue, contraindications, negative reaction, as well as interactions and side effects are close to the original.|
It is recommended to replace Pirantel after consulting a doctor.
Terms, conditions of sale and storage
Pirantel suspension can be bought at a pharmacy only after presentation of a prescription. Store the product at home in the dark, at a temperature of 10-25 degrees, and also away from children. The medication should not be frozen or overheated, since then its therapeutic effect is reduced. After opening, the drug is suitable for no more than 1 month. When sealed, the shelf life is 3 years.
The price of the drug and analogues
You can buy a 15 ml bottle of Pirantel suspension at a pharmacy or order it online. At the same time, the cost for the drug in Russia will be in the range from 35 to 60 rubles.
The Pirantel suspension is more often prescribed for children, since it is easy to swallow, and the product has a pleasant taste and is convenient to dose. Due to its proven high efficacy and low price, the medication is popular with patients of any age (children, adults and the elderly).
Author: Kotlyachkova Svetlana
Video about the drug Pirantel
Pirantel is an effective medicine against helminths: