- Composition and form of release
- Terms of sale, prices
- Pharmacological properties
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Indications for use
- Methods of administration and dosage
- With sinusitis, frontitis
- With sinusitis
- With rhinitis of different shapes
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Drug interactions
- Storage conditions and periods
- Video about the drug Polydex
Polydexa with Phenylephrine presents is an effective medication with a combined composition that helps to stop the symptoms of pathologies of the nasal passages. Reviews of patients and specialists about the action of the drug can be positive and negative, which is associated with the individual reactions of the body to certain components. The use is usually agreed with a pulmonologist or therapist.
Composition and form of release
The drug is available commercially as a topical spray, which is a liquid without color or fragrance. The liquid is transparent, placed in plastic bottles, equipped with a spray for ease of use.
Each bottle contains 15 ml of solution. A description is attached to it. In a small cardboard box, you can find a bottle with a solution and a description of its use. The composition of the medication includes several ingredients - dexamethasone, polymyxin, neomycin, phenylephrine.
The spray contains auxiliary ingredients:
- Purified water.
- Lithium chloride.
- Citric acid.
Additional substances do not have therapeutic properties, but are necessary to maintain the chemical formula throughout the entire shelf life.
Terms of sale, prices
The medication is dispensed in pharmacies after presenting a prescription form from a doctor, which reduces the likelihood of complications as a result of independent use without prior doctor visits.
The cost of the medication is high, ranging from 450-490 rubles. per bottle.
Polydex with Phenylephrine (reviews are usually left by patients who have completed a full therapeutic course) has pronounced anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties, which makes it possible to use it in acute periods of illness nasal passages.
Additionally, the medicine helps prevent the development of complications against the background of the progression of the condition. The drug has an antimicrobial effect, which enhances the effectiveness of the course application.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
After the introduction of the solution into the nasal passages, there is a rapid spread of its components through the tissues and the provision of a therapeutic effect. The drug helps to quickly eliminate tissue swelling, which eliminates nasal congestion in patients who suffer from various diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
The drug has not only a decongestant effect on tissues, but also has other properties:
- The presence of dexamethasone in the composition provides the anti-inflammatory effect of the drug. The remedy not only eliminates signs of inflammation, but also prevents the recurrence of symptoms. The doctor notes that a component of hormonal origin enhances the effect of the drug, even in severe pathological conditions.
- The medicine contains 2 antibacterial components, i.e. polymyxin and neomycin, which provides pronounced antibacterial effect, which occurs within a short period of time after onset application. The tool can be used for bacterial pathologies accompanied by inflammatory symptoms.
- The presence of phenylephrine in the composition helps to avoid nasal congestion, enhances the decongestant effect of the hormonal component, which ensures the effectiveness of treatment in severe cases.
- The drug acts on most gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms, which makes it possible to use it for bacterial inflammation of various origins.
The drug is absorbed in a minimal amount into the systemic circulation when applied topically. Despite this, a certain amount of its active components penetrates the systemic circulation, which can lead to the appearance of systemic changes.
Even with the penetration of substances into the blood, they do not accumulate in the body. After providing a therapeutic effect, the main amount of the ingredients is excreted with the mucus of the nasal passages, but a small amount that enters the bloodstream is evacuated with the help of the kidneys.
The therapeutic effect of the application occurs within a few minutes after the introduction of the solution into the nasal passages and lasts for 6-8 hours. The maximum duration of action differs from patient to patient.
Indications for use
Polydex with Phenylephrine is used in the diagnosis of upper respiratory tract pathologies.
Patient reviews confirm the effectiveness of the appointment in the event of the development of the following disorders:
- Rhinitis in acute and chronic form, accompanied by the formation of pus.
- Sinusitis at different stages of development. The drug can be used in case of complications, as well as as part of a comprehensive treatment.
- Chronic adenoiditis.
- Frontitis and sinusitis at different stages of development.
- Complicated form of rhinitis in children, developing against the background of other diseases of the respiratory system.
- Rhinopharyngitis in acute and chronic form. The drug in this case is prescribed as an auxiliary method of treatment in combination with other medicines.
The tool can be used during the recovery period after surgery on the organs of the respiratory system.
Contraindications for treatment with a remedy include the period of pregnancy and lactation. This is due to the fact that the components of the composition in a small amount penetrate into the systemic circulation, can negatively affect the development of the fetus, as well as the general condition of the mother. The drug can be dangerous for lactating women, so it is not prescribed.
Other barriers to treatment:
- Intolerance to any ingredient of the composition, both main and auxiliary.
- Kidney disease, in which protein impurities appear in the urine.
- Acute or chronic renal failure.
- Liver pathologies of viral origin. The medication can aggravate the course of the disorder.
- Angle-closure glaucoma at any stage. The drug is not prescribed even if the pathology is mild.
- Severe damage to the mucous membranes of the nasal passages. At the same time, the absorption of the main components into the blood occurs more intensively, which can negatively affect the general condition.
- Mild to severe hyperthyroidism.
- Internal bleeding that develops against the background of damage to the mucous membranes of the stomach and intestines.
- Uncontrolled hypertension and unstable angina.
- Ischemic heart disease in the acute stage.
- The patient's age is up to 12 years.
The drug is used with caution in the treatment of patients who previously suffered from allergies to medicines with similar ingredients in the composition. For some patients, individual contraindications may be determined during the examination.
Methods of administration and dosage
Polydex with Phenylephrine (reviews of the drug allow a preliminary assessment of the effectiveness) is used only intranasally as directed by an otolaryngologist. Depending on the symptomatology and the specific disease, the treatment regimen may differ. In this case, the duration of therapy usually does not exceed 10 days.
With an advanced course of any disease, the therapeutic course can be extended up to 2 weeks, but this is not required so often. The decision to extend the course is made by the doctor after a preliminary examination.
With sinusitis, frontitis
The drug for such diseases is taken for 7-10 days. Depending on the age, the number of applications per day is different.
|Patient age||Number of applications per day|
|Patients from 12 to 18 years old||Such patients are allowed to inject the agent no more than 3 times a day, making approximately equal time intervals between applications. In each nasal passage, 1 injection must be done.|
|Adults||Adults with a mild course of the disease can use the medicine 3 times a day, with a severe form of the disorder, it is allowed to increase the number of applications up to 5 times a day. As with other patients, irregular intervals must be taken between spray injections.|
In the absence of a therapeutic effect, it is necessary to visit an otolaryngologist, who will determine the reason for the lack of effectiveness and prescribe another medicine according to individual indications.
Children over 12 years of age are prescribed several medications for systemic and local use in the treatment of sinusitis. The spray is used 3 times a day, making 1 injection in each nasal passage.
For adults, the drug is prescribed 5 times a day, while 2 injections can be made into each nasal passage, especially in the case of a severe course of the pathological condition. Within 5 days, the patient's condition improves, but a lasting effect is achieved within 7-10 days of long-term use.
With rhinitis of different shapes
The drug can be used for rhinitis in combination with other medicines to achieve a lasting therapeutic effect. The treatment regimen may differ from patient to patient. Children from 12 years old use the spray 2 times a day.
Adults can inject the medicine 3-4 times a day at regular intervals. No more than 1 injection is made into each nasal passage. After 7 days, the patient visits a doctor, who determines the need to extend the course to 10 days.
Polydex with Phenylephrine (patient reviews may be negative in case of complications during therapy) can provoke negative reactions from the nasal passages and internal organs. Systemic disorders can occur despite minimal absorption into the blood.
- Some patients talk about disorders of the digestive tract. They manifest themselves in the form of nausea, pain in the stomach, flatulence, and bloating. Over the course of several days, the symptoms may worsen, which leads to the appearance of heartburn and other complications.
- With prolonged use, complications from the nervous system are possible. Patients talk about headaches and deterioration in concentration, coordination of movements. Symptoms can include severe weakness and dizziness, and decreased productivity. Insomnia is considered one of the rare complications.
- The drug does not lead to complications from the heart and blood vessels, but in patients with chronic diseases, symptoms may worsen, and additional complications appear.
- The most common complications are allergic reactions that can occur in patients, despite the fact that one of the components of the composition has antiallergic properties. The medicine can lead to itching of the tissues of the nasal passages, a rash on the face. Gradually, lesions spread not only to the affected area, but also to other tissues, which complicates the condition.
The drug often leads to severe itching, burning of the skin, peeling. If tissue is damaged as a result of scratching, the risk of infection increases, so it is important to avoid aggravating the symptoms.
The drug in a minimal amount penetrates into the patient's blood, does not accumulate in the tissues, which minimizes the risks of overdose.
Even with prolonged use, patients do not experience such reactions. Despite this, otolaryngologists warn about the impossibility of independent long-term use in high doses.
Polydex with Phenylephrine (doctors recommend examining reviews of the medicine before starting use) helps to achieve a therapeutic result faster if the patient follows certain rules.
For example, it is important to clear mucus from the nasal passages before each injection of the solution into the nasal passages. It is especially important to observe this rule when treating children. It is not recommended to shorten the time between injections or to enter a double dosage at a time, increasing the interval between uses.
The absence of the first therapeutic result within 1 day after the start of application is considered a reason for a second visit to the doctor. Perhaps this drug is not suitable for a particular patient.
Topical medication in most cases does not affect the effect of systemic drugs, therefore if necessary, it can be prescribed as part of a combination therapy for patients with various respiratory diseases systems.
But doctors do not recommend simultaneous treatment with spray and intranasal medications containing similar ingredients. If a drug has the same properties, you should not use it in combination with a medicine. Some antibiotics, antifungal agents are not prescribed in combination with Polydex medicine. It is especially dangerous to use in combination with Streptomycin, Gentamicin, Amikacin.
The medication has analogues used when necessary, if the original cannot be prescribed.
Fixed assets used as substitutes:
- Isofra - a medication in the form of a spray, which has a decongestant and anti-inflammatory effect due to the presence of framycetin in the composition. The medication can be prescribed for children and adults, used in short courses.
- Nazofan in the form of a spray, it has antihistamines, anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties. Despite the different composition, the drug is considered effective and is prescribed in courses of 5-7 days. The medicine can help relieve congestion and some other symptoms.
- Fliksonase - an analogue based on another active component, which can be used if necessary. An intranasal spray medication is available. Depending on the disease, the treatment regimen may differ, as well as the duration.
Quite rarely, the funds are used for long courses, since they have a pronounced effect on tissues, but can provoke complications in the form of atrophic rhinitis. A different composition of medicines makes it impossible to independently select drugs if it is impossible to prescribe the original.
Storage conditions and periods
The drug can be stored for 3 years. The date of manufacture of the medicine is indicated on the package, so it is important to study the information before use.
After the expiration of this period, it is worth abandoning the application. During storage, it is worth excluding direct sunlight on the box.
Polydex with Phenylephrine is considered an effective remedy for the treatment of upper respiratory tract pathologies. The drug in a minimal amount penetrates the systemic circulation, therefore, reviews on its use are mostly positive. But this is not a reason for self-administration of the medicinal solution.
Video about the drug Polydex
Polydexa spray description and instructions: