- Release form
- Chemical composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Indications for use
- At what age can the drug be used?
- Instructions for use, dosage
- Extraintestinal amebiasis
- Amoebiasis, hy-ardiasis and balantidiasis
- Infectious damage to joints and bones
- Purulent infectious pathologies
- Infectious dermatological pathologies
- Gastritis or an ulcer of an infectious nature
- Acne and poorly healing wounds
- Prevention of infection in the postoperative period
- Alcohol addiction
- Radiation therapy in cancer patients
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Drug interactions
- List of analogues
- Terms, conditions of sale and storage
- The price of the drug and analogues
- Video about the drug Metronidazole
Metronidazole - Russian antibacterial drug with antiprotozoal and antimicrobial activity. The medication is produced in a variety of dosage forms, including tablets. The last form of release can be bought in 2 dosages: 250 and 500 mg each. The amount of active substance in a preparation affects its effectiveness and price.
The tablet form of Metronidazole is represented by a flat and round white tablet (the presence of yellow or green), on which there is (on one side) a dividing line, there are also chamfers with 2 parties. The medication is placed in blisters with a cellular shape in the amount of 10 pcs. The box contains 1 or 2 records and instructions. Also, the product can be sold in dark glass cans in the amount of 10-60 and 100 tablets.
Metronidazole - 500 mg tablets, the price of which is low. They have a chemical composition:
|List of elements||
Characteristics of elements
|The main component|
|Metronidazole||The substance is an antibiotic, in addition, it has an anti-alcoholic, antimicrobial, antiulcer, as well as trichomonacid and antiprotozoal effects.|
|Corn starch||The component is used as a filler, gives the tablets the desired shape and density, and also allows the agent to dissolve easily.|
|Povidone||The element attracts, combines and removes toxins and other harmful substances from the body.|
|Magnesium stearate||The component makes it easier to swallow the tablets, and also allows you to prolong the therapeutic effect of the drug.|
The amount of metronidazole in one tablet (in this form of release) is 500 mg.
The drug Metronidazole is included in the group of antibiotics, besides this drug has antiprotozoal, antiulcer and antimicrobial effects.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
Metronidazole - 500 mg tablets (the price of the medication depends on the dosage), which, after oral administration, disrupt the synthesis of vital acids in bacterial cells, which leads to their death.
In addition, the main substance:
- increases the sensitivity of cancer cells to radiation;
- provokes a sharp deterioration in health when taking alcohol (thereby causing aversion to alcohol-containing drinks);
- accelerates the process of cell regeneration after damage by bacteria and other harmful factors.
The base substance penetrates into all fluids and tissues. The therapeutic effect occurs in the first 3 hours after swallowing the pill and can last up to 12 hours. Metronidazole is excreted from the body mainly in the urine.
Important. It is possible to accelerate the withdrawal of the medication (from 12 to 2 hours) from the body with the help of hardware blood purification.
Indications for use
Metronidazole tablets with an active element concentration of 500 mg have the following indications:
- extraintestinal amebiasis. The disease is manifested by the lesion of the dysenteric amoeba of the lungs, liver, brain and other vital organs;
- amoebiasis. The infection affects the intestines. Pathology proceeds with severe intoxication of the body;
- trichomoniasis. Infectious venereal disease provoked by Trichomonas;
- hy-ardiasis. The disease is manifested by damage to the intestinal tissue with lamblia;
- balantidiasis. Protozoal infection affecting the intestines;
- diseases of the joints and bones provoked by the penetration of infection into the tissues;
- infectious pathologies of the nervous system (including meningitis and brain abscess);
- bacterial damage to the heart muscle;
- pneumonia. The infection affects the lungs;
- empyema. Purulent lesion of the pleural cavity;
- abscess (purulent tissue damage) of the lungs;
- infectious damage to the tissues of the abdominal cavity;
- the presence of an infection in the pelvic tissues, including damage to the reproductive and urinary organs;
- infectious lesion of the epidermis;
- gastritis, an ulcer caused by an infection. Also, the medication accelerates the process of tissue repair in these pathologies;
- Crohn's disease. The development of inflammation processes in the organs of the digestive tract. The disease is autoimmune in nature;
- severe acne in adolescents;
- the presence of wounds that do not heal for a long time;
- prevention of the penetration of infection into the body in the postoperative period.
In addition to these pathologies, the drug can be prescribed in the fight against alcohol dependence, as well as to enhance the effect of radiation therapy.
Metronidazole 500 mg is an affordable drug due to its low price, but tablets are not taken if there are contraindications:
- allergy to the components of the tablets;
- the presence of organic lesions of the central nervous system, including epilepsy;
- severe hepatic and renal failure;
- breastfeeding a newborn;
- deficiency of leukocytes.
During pregnancy, the medication has an absolute contraindication in the 1st trimester. In subsequent periods of bearing a child, the drug is allowed to be taken, but under the supervision of a doctor and according to an individual course.
At what age can the drug be used?
The drug Metronidazole in tablet form has no age restrictions. The drug is approved for use from birth. But it should be borne in mind that in childhood, the dosage is selected by the pediatrician individually, depending on the patient's weight and his general well-being.
Instructions for use, dosage
Metronidazole - 500 mg tablets, the price of which depends on their quantity in the package. They should be used at the same time as food or immediately after ingestion. It is allowed to divide the tablet into the required dose, but you should not chew the product. Further, the approximate dosage of the drug is considered, taking into account the patient's parameters (age, type of disease).
Rules for taking Metronidazole (provided that the patient does not have chronic pathologies), depending on the type of pathology.
Treatment is prescribed complex, since the use of drugs that restore the activity of the affected organ is required.
|Up to 12 months||Take ¼ tablets every 24 hours. The dose can be divided into 2 doses.|
|From 1 to 4 years old||Take ¼ tablets at breakfast and dinner.|
|From 4 to 8 years old||Use ¾ tablets every 24 hours. The dose should be divided by 2 times.|
|From 8 to 12 years old||Prescribe 1 tablet per day, which must be taken in 2 doses|
|Over 12 years old||For 24 hours, you need to take 5 tablets, while this dose must be divided by 3 times.|
The course of taking Metronidazole can be from 3 to 5 days.
Amoebiasis, hy-ardiasis and balantidiasis
During the course, and also within 2 weeks after the end of the use of the medication, probiotics are required.
|Up to 12 months||You need to take ¼ tablets per day. This dose can be divided into 2 doses.|
|From 1 to 4 years old||Children are given ½ tablets per day. The drug should be divided into 2 doses.|
|From 4 to 8 years old||You need to take ¾ tablets per day. This dose is divided by 3 times.|
|From 8 to 12 years old||Take 1 tablet a day. The prescribed dose should be divided into 2-3 doses.|
|Over 12 years old||It is required to use 1 tablet at breakfast, lunch and dinner. But if the disease is in an exacerbation stage, then a single dose should be increased to 1.5 tablets.|
The course of antibiotic use is 1 week.
The pathology is venereal, therefore, the sexual partner is also required to take Metronidazole. Important. Pathology can be transmitted to the newborn during the passage of the birth canal.
|Newborn||For children, the dosage can only be adjusted by a pediatrician. It is forbidden to independently set the dose and course.|
|After 18 years||The drug can be used once in the amount of 4 tablets. Or a course of 10 days may be prescribed with a dosage of ½ a tablet, the frequency of administration in the morning and in the evening.|
The course of treatment in adults is established by the doctor depending on the neglect of the pathology.
Infectious damage to joints and bones
It is necessary to use an antibiotic in combination with drugs to restore joint and bone tissues.
|From 4 to 8 years old||Take 1/3 tablet 3 times every 24 hours.|
|Over 8 years old||Take 1 tablet each morning, afternoon and evening.|
The course of using the medication in the form of tablets is 1 week. But when choosing this antibiotic, if the disease is in a neglected state or proceeds in a severe form, initially the drug is prescribed in the form of injections. The dose and duration of the procedures is set individually.
Purulent infectious pathologies
With these diseases, the type of auxiliary medications is selected strictly by the doctor.
|Up to 12 months||Take ¼ tablets once daily.|
|From 1 to 4 years old||Prescribe ½ tablet a day. The dose is allowed to be divided by 2 times.|
|From 4 to 8 years old||The daily dose is ¾ of the tablet, which must be taken in 2 doses.|
|From 8 to 12 years old||The tablet must be divided into 2-3 times and taken within 24 hours.|
|Over 12 years old||Use 1 tablet, which should be consumed 3-4 times every 24 hours.|
The duration of treatment with Metronidazole is set for each patient individually, taking into account the dynamics of improvements.
Infectious dermatological pathologies
Metronidazole must be used in combination with external medications.
|Up to 12 months||For 2 days, you need to take 1/3 of the tablet. The prescribed dose should be divided by 3 times.|
|From 1 to 4 years old||Use 1/3 of the tablet per day. The dose is divided by 2 times.|
|From 4 to 8 years old||Use ½ tablet one time per day.|
|Over 8 years old||Take 1 tablet every 24 hours. The dose is divided into 2 doses.|
The course of antibiotic use is prescribed by a dermatologist, taking into account the improvement of the patient's condition.
Gastritis or an ulcer of an infectious nature
The drug is taken together with medications that normalize the activity and condition of the mucous membranes of the digestive tract. In addition, an additional intake of antibiotics is recommended, more often Amoxicillin is prescribed.
|From 4 to 8 years old||Use 1/3 of the tablet in the morning and in the evening.|
|From 8 to 12 years old||Take 1 / 3-1 / 2 tablets 3 times every 24 hours.|
|Over 12 years old||Take 1 tablet every 8 hours.|
The course of using Metronidazole is established by the attending physician.
Acne and poorly healing wounds
Metronidazole is prescribed in combination with topical drugs.
|From 8 to 12 years old||Take 1 tablet. The prescribed dose is divided into 2 doses.|
|Over 12 years old||Take 1 tablet every 12 hours.|
It takes 5-7 days to use metronidazole. If prolongation of therapy is required, then a doctor's consultation is necessary.
Prevention of infection in the postoperative period
The period and dosage of taking the pills are set individually for each patient, depending on the severity of the surgical intervention and the general condition of the patient.
|Up to 12 months||Take ¼ tablets per day. If necessary, the dose is divided by 2 times.|
|From 1 to 8 years old||Use ½ or ¾ tablet in 24 hours. The indicated dose should be divided by 2-3 times.|
|Over 8 years old||The doctor may prescribe 1.5-3 tablets per day. The dose should be divided by 3 times.|
The antibiotic should be started 3 days before the operation and continued for 2 more days after the operation. The doctor can adjust the dose and duration of the course, according to the general condition of the patient.
It is recommended to use Metronidazole in combination with medications that restore the functioning and condition of liver tissues.
|Children||You need to take no more than 2 tablets per day. The prescribed dose can be divided into 2-3 doses.|
|Adults||You need to use no more than 5 tablets in 24 hours. The prescribed dose is divided into 3 doses.|
The course of use of the drug is selected for each patient separately. It should be borne in mind that it is impossible to abruptly stop using Metronidazole, with this pathology.
Radiation therapy in cancer patients
The course and dosage are selected for each patient individually. Since it is required to take into account the stage of the course of the disease, the age of the patient, as well as which organ is affected and the volume of tumor formation.
Metronidazole is used only after confirmation of the sensitivity of the infection to the active component of the drug. At the same time, it is strictly forbidden to interrupt the course of therapy, and in case of impaired renal function, the indicated dose should be reduced by 2 times. It should also be borne in mind that the data in the tables are indicative, the exact dosage should be prescribed by the attending physician.
With oral administration of Metronidazole, the patient may experience the following adverse reactions:
- mild to severe diarrhea;
- lack of a bowel movement;
- weight loss, more often manifested in children;
- severe nausea, provoking a deterioration in appetite;
- abdominal pain in the form of intestinal colic as a result of the accumulation of gas in the intestines;
- metal taste or dry mouth;
- inflammation of the tissues of the tongue;
- the development of a fungal infection in the mouth or vagina;
- inflammation of the tissues of the pancreas;
- disruption of the liver, the development of liver failure is possible;
- dizziness, may be accompanied by impaired coordination of movement;
- severe weakness throughout the body;
- disturbance or confusion of consciousness;
- the development of depression, or vice versa, irritability and increased excitability;
- insomnia can be replaced by increased drowsiness;
- muscle cramps;
- visual or auditory hallucinations;
- absence or decrease in the amount of urine, there may also be more frequent urge to urinate, and an increase in the volume of urine;
- inflammation of the bladder tissue;
- urinary incontinence, both at night and during the day;
- the urine turns dark red;
- violation of the composition of the blood;
- blurry or double vision;
- violation of color perception;
- increased likelihood of developing venous thrombosis;
- deterioration of the heart, including the rhythm of contractions.
Tablets can provoke the development of allergies, which sometimes manifests itself immediately in a severe form in the form of anaphylactic shock.
When taking pills one-time in large quantities, and also, if a long course with a large dosage is prescribed, then the development of poisoning is possible. In case of an overdose, the patient has a more pronounced development of side effects. The most common are vomiting, seizures, and diarrhea.
To accelerate the withdrawal of an active element from the body in a hospital, hardware blood purification can be used. At home, it is recommended to induce vomiting and take activated charcoal. After stabilization of the patient's condition, symptomatic therapy is selected.
Metronidazole - 500 mg tablets, the price of which is low. They are required to be used after becoming familiar with the following nuances of the course of therapy:
- Metronidazole belongs to the group of antibiotics, therefore it is important to combine the course of medication with the use of probiotics;
- in case of accidental skipping of taking a pill, it must be taken immediately, and further use of the drug should be counted from the new time;
- when you feel better, you need to take the course to the end. If treatment is interrupted, the disease may return (the infection may not be completely eradicated), but repeated the use of an antibiotic will no longer give the desired result, since bacteria become insensitive to medication;
- with prolonged therapy, the patient must check the composition of the blood and monitor the work of vital organs every 2 weeks;
- if the patient has kidney or liver pathologies (in mild or moderate form), then the dosage must be reduced. Consultation of the attending physician is required.
It is strictly forbidden to combine Metronidazole with alcohol. Ethanol provokes an exacerbation of side effects, as a result, the patient has a sharp deterioration in health.
Important. The drug affects vision, can cause severe dizziness, in this regard, driving vehicles and performing hazardous work should be excluded for the entire course of therapy.
If you need to take Metronidazole in combination with other drugs, then it should be borne in mind that the tablets are not combined with the following medicines:
- alcohol-containing solutions increase the likelihood of developing side effects and increasing the severity of their manifestation;
- do not use Metronidazole and Ampicillin in combination when treating children;
- prolongs and enhances the effect of blood thinners;
- Cimetidine (the drug normalizes the condition and activity of the digestive tract) improves the absorption of Metronidazole, provoking the development of side effects;
- the funds used to normalize the production of liver enzymes reduce the effectiveness of the antibiotic;
- Metronidazole provokes the development of intoxication when taking lithium-containing medications.
The drug for the treatment of alcohol dependence - Disulfiram, contributes to the development of neurological abnormalities.
List of analogues
If the use of Metronidazole tablets provoked the development of side effects, or the drug did not fit due to the presence of contraindications, then you can replace it with the following medicines:
- Indian solution for injection "Batsimex";
- Ukrainian tablets and Ornisol injection solution;
- Indian tablets and Meratin injection solution;
- Russian tablets "Tinidazole";
- Russian tablets "Ornidazole".
A suitable analogue should be selected by a doctor, since it is necessary to take into account the type of disease, which organ is affected, as well as the age and the presence of chronic pathologies.
Terms, conditions of sale and storage
You can buy Metronidazole tablets with a dosage of 500 mg only on a prescription form. At home, the medication should be placed in a dark place with a temperature of 2 to 25 degrees. The antibiotic has a shelf life of 5 years.
Important. The drug can cause serious side effects and should be kept out of the reach of children.
The price of the drug and analogues
You can buy Metronidazole and its analogues in Russia at the following prices:
|List of medicines||Minimum cost||Maximum cost|
|Metronidazole 20 tablets||RUB 53||84 rbl.|
|Batsimex 100 ml||RUB 48||69 rbl.|
|Ornisol 10 tablets||212 r||RUB 275|
|Meratin 10 tablets||1098 RUB||1176 RUB|
|Tinidazole 4 tablets||RUB 87||113 r|
|Ornidazole 10 tablets||RUB 186||223 r|
Metronidazole has gained popularity due to its low cost, high and proven efficacy, and the possibility of using the drug from birth. An additional advantage of the antibiotic is the convenience of choosing tablets with the required dosage of 250 and 500 mg.
Author: Kotlyachkova Svetlana
Video about the drug Metronidazole
Metronidazole - application, indications: