Shortness of breath after heart attack may indicate the development of serious complications associated with a history of heart attack. Breast shortness of breath is one of the most common consequences arising from myocardial infarction or after it.
Why do I get short of breath
The main reason for choking is in violation of the left ventricle, which appears in the background cessation of blood flow in the aorta (the largest artery supplying blood, internal organs person). Due to the fact that the blood can no longer flow into the aorta, the vascular system starts to overflow it, which leads to deterioration of gas exchange processes in the lungs. As a result, and there is shortness of breath.
Shortness of breath may occur immediately during a heart attack or some time later. At first, this symptom may occur only when a person starts to do physical work. However, with the progression of post-infarction state of lack of air will appear in the absence of any physical activity. Due to the fact that the normal rhythm of breathing gets off, the person is no longer able to take a deep breath, and so he begins to experience severe discomfort.
The very shortness of breath may be the initial symptom of severe post-infarction complications.
Medical statistics says that pulmonary edema occurs in 30% of all reported cases of heart attack and develops against the background of violations of blood flow in the heart arteries. The deterioration of blood flow, in turn, leads to blockage of blood vessels and accumulate in the alveoli of the lungs.
In some cases, swelling may be accompanied by the formation of a blood clot in the pulmonary artery and thereby cause an embolism. Pulmonary edema is not always develops as a result of narrowing of the coronary artery lumen or occlusion. Sometimes it appears in connection with the fact that the blood pressure in the left mitral valve of the heart begins to increase.
Pathological condition accompanied by the appearance:
- weakness in the muscles;
- difficulty breathing;
- enlarged veins in the neck;
- changes in skin color (it becomes a blue tint).
Cardiogenic shock - this is the last, the most severe degree of circulatory disorders that occur as a result of a sharp decrease in heart rate and blood pressure. This phenomenon has a negative impact on the activity of the kidneys and the nervous system.
To put it simply, the cardiogenic shock - is the inability of the heart muscle to pump blood through the vessels. Clinical manifestations of cardiogenic shock:
- low blood pressure;
- angina (chest pain);
- loss of consciousness;
- increase in heart rate;
- violation of urine elimination process of the body (it almost does not stand out as the kidneys no longer work properly);
- the skin becomes pale or blue.
Cardio called independent form of coronary artery disease, which leads to the replacement of heart muscle tissue scar. Replacement of scar tissue on the fully completed 3-4 months after the heart attack. This disease of the heart valve body causes a deformation and increasing its ventricles.
Cardio has the following symptoms:
- edema as the lower and upper limbs;
- hypertension (sustained increase in pressure);
- an increase in liver size.
What to do
If you experience complications after myocardial infarction human patient should immediately be taken to hospital. After the diagnosis the doctor will be able to assign the appropriate treatment. In order for the treatment to be effective, the patient must comply with the following recommendations:
- Regular hiking in the fresh air. These walks should last for at least twenty minutes a day.
- Do not stay long in the indoor air which contains a lot of dust or cigarette smoke. The presence of noxious fumes may contribute to breathlessness.
- Completely abandon the use of alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Because of the substances contained in tobacco smoke and alcohol, lack of air will only increase.
- Strengthen the muscles of the chest and diaphragm. This can be done with the help of special exercises.
- In the event that there is a lack of oxygen in the supine position, you need to put your head on two pillows, that is, increase the angle of inclination of the head.
A heart attack can cause the development of severe complications that without timely treatment can lead to death.