- Release form
- Chemical composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Indications for use
- At what age can the drug be used?
- Instructions for use, dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Drug interactions
- List of analogues
- Terms, conditions of sale and storage
- The price of the drug and analogues
- Video about the drug Estrogel
Estrogel - hormonal gel for external use, which is used to alleviate the course of menopause in women. Patient reviews about the action of the drug are different, which is associated with an individual reaction to the components of the composition and the features of the application. Mostly the responses are positive, provided the instructions are followed.
The drug is produced in the form of a transdermal gel for external use, which is absorbed into the skin. It is transparent and colorless, but has a pronounced ethanol aroma that is felt when used in the first few minutes.
The gel is packaged in bottles or tubes of 80 g. An applicator is attached to the tube for easy dispensing, the bottle is equipped with a special pump, which also allows you to accurately dispense the medicine. The tube and bottle are placed in an individual cardboard box, in which you can also find a description.
The consistency of the product is standard, gel-like, it does not leave stickiness on the skin, even when using a higher dosage.
Estrogel is a gel (with menopause, patient reviews may differ from those left by other patients) based on estradiol, which makes it a hormonal medication. This ingredient acts as the main one, has pronounced properties.
The gel contains auxiliary substances:
- Purified water.
These components have no therapeutic properties. The amount of the basic substance per 1 g of gel is 0.6 mg.
The main substance of the product in its properties resembles a natural hormone that is produced in the human body, therefore it is highly effective. The drug helps maintain normal blood levels of estradiol, which naturally decreases as a result of the progression of menopause symptoms.
The use of the drug allows you to somewhat weaken the negative manifestations of menopause, reduce the likelihood of developing severe complications against the background of hormonal imbalance. Patients note a positive effect with prolonged use.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The action of the remedy begins fairly quickly after applying it to the skin. The active substance is absorbed into the systemic circulation, after which it spreads throughout the body. Estradiol helps to normalize the hormonal background, as it replenishes the deficiency of estrogen, prevents its critical decrease and the occurrence of complications. The effect is noted not only on the pelvic organs, but also on the mammary glands. Patients often report discomfort and some other symptoms during menopause.
The drug also has other properties:
- Reduces the manifestations of menopause, which worsen the patient's condition. When using the gel, patients note the elimination of tachycardia, the absence of fluctuations in blood pressure. Many people say that hot flashes at night are less common when using the gel.
- Improves the condition of the skin.
- Relieves the patient from dryness of the mucous membranes, which mainly affects the tissues of the vagina and leads to irritation, discomfort in the form of burning, itching.
- Reduces the likelihood of a rapid decrease in the elasticity of the vaginal tissue. Such disorders are associated with estrogen deficiency during menopause.
- Reduces the risk of rapid leaching of calcium from bone tissue, which is also observed during menopause as a result of a decrease in estrogen levels.
The drug is usually well tolerated by patients, does not enter the digestive tract, which reduces the risk of complications from the stomach and intestines. When applied to the skin, absorption occurs rather quickly, and the therapeutic effect is noted a few days after the start of application.
The distribution of the main substance occurs quickly, it can accumulate in a small amount in the body, which does not lead to complications, provided that the recommendations of a specialist are followed.
The processing of the hormonal ingredient takes place in the liver. The excretion of the decay products of the active substance is carried out with the help of the kidneys. In 2-3 days, the body is cleansed of components if the patient refuses to use the gel. Violations of the digestive system do not lead to a decrease in the effectiveness of the drug.
Indications for use
Estrogel is used mainly for menopause in order to alleviate the condition of women.
But the reviews confirm the effectiveness in some other conditions, so the gel has other indications:
- The need for hormone replacement therapy in patients with estrogen deficiency in the blood.
- Onset of signs of osteoporosis before menopause. Some patients have such complications, so it is important to prescribe hormonal therapy in a timely manner, which will prevent rapid progression.
In some other cases, the gel can be used on an individual basis, if the doctor considers therapy appropriate.
The drug is not prescribed in case of intolerance to its components or a tendency to such reactions, since its effect on the body is quite pronounced.
Other barriers to treatment with a remedy include the following conditions:
- Mammary cancer. In this case, the gel is not prescribed, not only in the presence of such a diagnosis, but also in case of suspicion of it or the presence of pathology in the patient's history.
- Malignant neoplasms, the course of which depends on the level of estrogen in the body. With such diseases, their course can be aggravated by the use of the gel.
- Malignant endometrial pathology.
- Acute inflammatory diseases of the reproductive system.
- Endometrial hyperplasia. The gel is not used in the absence of treatment for this disease.
- Uterine bleeding of various origins.
- Pathology of the cardiovascular system in the acute stage.
- A tendency to thrombosis, the presence of thrombotic complications in the patient's history.
- Phlebitis in the acute stage.
- Severe type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Benign or malignant neoplasms in the liver, in which a woman's condition may worsen with the use of the gel.
- Diseases of the gallbladder, accompanied by stagnation of bile, other symptoms against the background of such a disorder.
- Acute severe hepatitis.
- Renal failure, acute infectious diseases of the paired organ.
- The period of lactation and pregnancy is considered an absolute contraindication.
- The period of rehabilitation after a severe surgical intervention on the internal organs.
- Uncontrolled form of arterial hypertension.
During examination and questioning for patients, other contraindications may be revealed that are not indicated in the official description. With caution, the gel is prescribed for uterine myoma, endometriosis.
At what age can the drug be used?
Estrogel is a gel for menopause (reviews are usually left after prolonged use), prescribed mainly for patients who suffer from any symptoms of menopause.
The hormonal agent is not used for the treatment of patients under 18 years of age, which is associated with a high risk of complications. Such patients usually do not require the appointment of a hormonal potent agent.
Instructions for use, dosage
The drug is used only externally after a preliminary visit to the gynecologist. The dosage for patients in most cases is standard, it is 2.5 g of gel. A pump or a special applicator helps to dispense the agent correctly if the patient uses the agent in a tube.
It is necessary to apply the drug on dry and clean skin. In this case, the part of the body that is treated with the gel does not matter. Treatment is carried out 2 times per day. The product is quickly absorbed, does not leave pronounced stickiness on the skin. If, after a few minutes, the patient feels sticky, most likely the gel has been spread over a small area of the skin.
To prevent the development of osteoporosis, 2.5 mg of gel per day is also used. This is usually enough to achieve a pronounced result. But if necessary, the dose can be increased to 5 g. This rate is maximum. It is not exceeded, even if there is no effect from the use of the gel.
The duration of treatment with an external agent is determined individually for each patient. The gel can be applied for 2-4 weeks or for a longer period if necessary.
The drug often leads to complications, despite the relative safety. Negative reactions can occur even if all the doctor's recommendations are followed.
|Damage area||Common complications|
|Nervous system||On the part of the nervous system, complications in patients manifest themselves in the form of weakness and fatigue, sleep disturbances. Many people report increased irritability, decreased mental performance and productivity. The condition can be aggravated in the presence of concomitant abnormalities in the brain.|
|The cardiovascular system||Tachycardia and arrhythmia are not so common, but in a laboratory study of blood, it is observed to thicken and an increase in the number of coagulation factors. Such disorders are more typical for a group of patients with a tendency to thrombosis. Usually, such disorders do not appear so often; if detected early, the doctor can cancel the medication.|
|Digestive tract||Despite the absence of the effect of active ingredients on the digestive tract, complications can occur, especially if there is a history of chronic diseases of the stomach and intestines.|
|Reproductive system||Violation of the menstrual cycle is often noted in the first few weeks after the start of use. Symptoms often disappear on their own and do not require special treatment. The aggravation of the condition and the appearance of other complications requires a visit to the doctor.|
Allergy is often observed when applied. Moreover, it manifests itself not only with local symptoms, but also with disorders of the respiratory system, vision. A rash on the skin may be accompanied by itching, irritation. Often, women comb the affected area, which only aggravates the condition.
Estrogel is a gel (with menopause, patient reviews may be negative if complications arise), which is not provokes an overdose, provided that it is used in the prescribed dosage and for a certain period time.
Only when the gel is applied in high doses over a certain period of time, the development of such a condition is noted. After refusal to use the symptomatology gradually disappears, sometimes special medications are required.
Overdose manifests itself in the form of aggravation of the general condition and all negative reactions. The condition is not life threatening, but it can lead to severe headaches, nausea, and bouts of vomiting. An increase in blood pressure indicators, pain in the region of the heart and a significant increase in blood viscosity are possible.
The appearance of symptoms of an overdose is considered a reason for refusing therapy and visiting a doctor.
Some patients believe that the drug should not be applied to one area of the skin every day. But gynecologists pay attention to the fact that changing the place of application is not required, since the drug does not affect metabolic processes in the skin.
It is forbidden to independently increase the daily rate, discontinue use or prolong therapy. Self-correction of therapy leads to severe complications. Often, patients are shown additional means to improve the effectiveness of treatment. But the selection of funds is made by the doctor, taking into account the results of the examination of the patient.
The drug is usually not prescribed at the same time as drugs that have the same composition. This provokes an overdose and other complications. But in combination with other hormonal medications, the medicine is often used.
The decision on the prescription of medications is made only by a doctor. Do not use the gel in combination with coagulants, cytotoxic agents, barbiturates. With caution, the gel is prescribed simultaneously with drugs for the treatment of thyroid pathologies.
Patients on their own should not use several products at the same time with the gel.
List of analogues
If it is impossible to prescribe the original drug, analogs with similar properties can be used.
The most commonly used substitutes are:
- Divigel also available as a gel for external use, contains estradiol, is used for severe menopause and as hormone replacement therapy.
- Klimadinon contains natural ingredients and is often used to treat menopausal symptoms. It cannot be used as a full-fledged analogue of the gel, but if it is impossible to prescribe the original, it can somewhat alleviate the condition.
- Remens in tablet form and in the form of drops also has a natural composition, it is prescribed for severe menopause.
The only complete substitute for the drug is Divigel. The choice of a specific drug is made only by a doctor.
Terms, conditions of sale and storage
The medicine is allowed to be stored away from sunlight and children for 3 years. Application after the expiration date is strongly discouraged.
Dispensing of gel from pharmacies is carried out after presentation of a certified prescription form from a doctor.
The price of the drug and analogues
The cost of the original product ranges from 900-1100 rubles per package. You can buy a Divigel for 700 rubles. The cost of natural preparations Klimadinon and Remens is approximately 350-460 rubles.
Estrogel is an effective hormonal gel that is used to alleviate the condition of women with menopause. The drug has a pronounced effect on the patient's body, helps to control hormonal balance. Reviews about the action of the external agent allow us to assess its effectiveness in advance, so it is necessary to study them before starting use.
Video about the drug Estrogel
Instructions for Estrogel: