- Release form
- Chemical composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Indications for use
- At what age can the drug be used?
- Instructions for use, dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Drug interactions
- List of analogues
- Terms, conditions of sale and storage
- The price of the drug and analogues
- Video about the drug Sumatriptan
Sumatriptan is a Russian drug to eliminate migraines. The drug allows you to quickly eliminate the headache, while the effect of the drug can last up to 24 hours. But the medication has a large list of side effects, so the pills cannot be taken without a doctor's prescription.
Sumatriptan tablet form is produced in the classic and film-coated tablets. Depending on the manufacturer, the appearance of the tablets can be round or oval. The color of the preparation also changes (white, blue, creamy pink and even red). The tablets are placed in convex transparent blisters in the amount of 2 or 10 pcs. The cardboard box contains 1 plate.
Sumatriptan can also be purchased as a nasal spray.
Components of tablets (conventional and coated) are:
|List of components||Component Description|
|Basic substances||Sumatriptan succinate||The substance narrows the carotid arteries, dilation and swelling, which are often the cause of the development of migraines.|
|Auxiliary components||Croscarmellose sodium||The element allows the tablet to easily and quickly dissolve in the digestive tract, accelerating the process of absorption of the main substance.|
|Polysorbate 80||The component combines substances into a homogeneous mass.|
|Calcium hydrogen phosphate||The component normalizes blood circulation and activates the brain.|
|Microcrystalline cellulose||Stabilizer that makes tablets hard and smooth. Also, the component contributes to the gradual release of the main substance, as a result, the therapeutic effect of the medication is prolonged.|
|Sodium bicarbonate||The substance restores the alkaline balance of the blood and lowers the acidity in the stomach.|
|Magnesium stearate||The element gives the tablet uniformity and facilitates the movement of the tablet through the digestive tract.|
|Main element||Sumatriptan succinate||The action of the component is described above.|
|Minor substances||Lactose monohydrate||The component gives the tablets a sweet taste and prolongs their shelf life.|
|Microcrystalline cellulose||The action of the substance is described above.|
|Magnesium stearate||The action of the element is discussed above.|
|Croscarmellose sodium||The action of the component is described above.|
|Talc||The component attracts excess fluids and gases and removes them from the body.|
|Shell components||Hypromellose||The substance facilitates the sliding of the tablet in the digestive tract.|
|Macrogol 6000||The element contributes to the rapid removal of excess fluid and harmful substances from the body.|
|Titanium dioxide||The component gives the casing the desired white or lightening shade.|
|Polysorbate||The component acts as a stabilizer and gives the shell the desired texture.|
|The composition of the shell may contain coloring components to give the medication the desired shade (creamy pink, blue or red).|
In tablet forms, the active element contains 50 or 100 mg per 1 tablet.
Sumatriptan - migraine pills, which are included in the group of anti-migraine agents.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
After oral administration, Sumatriptan tablets have a constricting effect on the dilated or edematous vessels of the brain, as a result of which the headache attack stops. In addition, the drug eliminates nausea, as well as pain and photosensitivity in the eyes that accompany migraines.
The headache begins to gradually decrease 30 minutes after taking the medication, and the maximum analgesic effect occurs approximately in 2-2.5 hours. The effect of the tablets can be maintained for a day.
Important. The drug is most effective if taken when the migraine is at its peak, otherwise the drug will need to be taken again after about 24 hours.
Indications for use
Sumatriptan tablets are prescribed by doctors to eliminate migraines, including menstrual headaches, which can develop about 3 days before the onset of menstruation and about 5 days after it ends.
Important. The drug should not be used prophylactically.
Sumatriptan is a migraine pill that is not safe.
Before starting to take the medication, the doctor must exclude contraindications from the patient:
- high sensitivity to tablet components;
- hemiplegic migraine. The headache is accompanied by paralysis of half of the body;
- basilar migraine. The disease is not associated with changes in blood and intracranial pressure. Headache develops as a result of spasm of the main artery of the brain;
- ophthalmoplegic migraine. Headache, accompanied by paralysis of the optic nerves, as a result, visual impairment is noted (double vision, strabismus or dilated pupil);
- recent myocardial infarction;
- postinfarction cardiosclerosis. The presence of dead areas in the heart after a heart attack;
- high blood pressure;
- coronary heart disease, pathology caused by impaired oxygen delivery to the heart muscle;
- the presence of recurrent pain or discomfort in the heart area;
- spasms of blood vessels that feed the heart;
- diagnosing a patient's condition or vascular patency;
- violation of the head blood supply in any form of severity;
- advanced kidney and liver diseases;
- diseases of the digestive tract in severe form;
- during the period of breastfeeding and carrying a child, Sumatriptan is prohibited from taking. During lactation, the baby should be transferred to formula milk for 24 hours. During this period, the components of the drug will be removed from the body.
With the following pathologies, Sumatriptan can be taken only under the strict supervision of a physician and at an individual dose.
The list of diseases includes:
- epilepsy, since pills can provoke the development of an attack;
- diseases accompanied by seizures;
- periodic pressure surges;
- pathology of the kidneys and liver in mild and moderate severity.
Patients with nicotine addiction should take pills with extreme caution, since nicotine provokes vasoconstriction.
At what age can the drug be used?
Tablets are not prescribed for patients under 18 and over 65 years of age. In the first case, the safety of the drug has not been studied, and in the second case, the vessels are already worn out, and the reception the drug can only cause the development of a worsening of their condition, including the development of intracranial bleeding.
Instructions for use, dosage
Sumatriptan tablets should be swallowed whole with clean water. They use the drug regardless of when there was a meal. At the same time, it is important that if the remedy does not work, then it is forbidden to reuse the pills to eliminate migraine.
Sumatriptan is allowed to be taken again only if the tablet has given a result, and at least 2 hours have passed after using the drug. Otherwise, you should use paracetamol, analgin or acetylsalicylic acid. A single dosage of Sumatriptan can be 50-100 mg, and the daily dosage should not exceed 300 mg.
Important. With liver pathologies, it is allowed to take no more than 50 mg of the drug per day.
The use of Sumatriptan tablets can provoke the following side effects:
- lowering blood pressure;
- short-term surges in blood pressure increase;
- slowing or increasing heart rate;
- violation of the rhythm of heart contractions;
- development of myocardial infarction;
- the appearance of spasms in the vessels;
- weakness accompanied by dizziness;
- sleepiness even during the daytime;
- tingling or creeping sensations on the skin;
- the development of seizures, more often manifested in patients with a predisposition to this symptom;
- tremor of the limbs;
- deterioration in the clarity of rhenium;
- double vision;
- temporary loss of vision;
- complete or partial loss of the visual field;
- feeling of discomfort in the abdomen;
- nausea, in rare cases, nausea can turn into vomiting;
- deterioration of the swallowing reflex;
- violation of blood supply in the intestine, accompanied by an inflammatory process;
- increased activity of liver enzymes;
- muscle pain of any severity;
- fever or hot feeling;
- cold extremities;
- a feeling of tightness in your chest or throat;
- flushed face;
- violation of the rhythm of breathing or shortness of breath;
- the development of internal bleeding, if the patient did not have vascular pathologies;
- severe weakness and fatigue;
- deviations in liver function tests;
- feeling anxious for no reason;
- increased sweating;
- skin rash, itching, development of anaphylactic shock is possible. Other signs of allergy may also appear.
Not all adverse reactions are the reason for the withdrawal of the medication, therefore, when they appear, a doctor's consultation is required. He will determine the possibility of further taking pills or the need to replace the medication.
Accidental intake of tablets in large quantities (more than 400 mg) one-time, also exceeding the daily dosage, can cause the development of poisoning, which is manifested by the following symptoms:
- severe cramps in the limbs;
- profuse vomiting and diarrhea;
- pronounced tremor of the hands;
- paralysis of the limbs or the whole body;
- drooping of the upper eyelid;
- redness of the skin on the limbs;
- severe respiratory failure, respiratory arrest is not excluded;
- blue discoloration of the tissues of the nasolabial triangle;
- severe muscle weakness;
- violation of the coordination of muscle contractions;
- dilated pupil;
- a sharp increase or decrease in the pressure value;
- change in heart rate, cardiac arrest is not excluded;
- the development of severe seizures or an epileptic seizure;
- blindness, while permanent visual impairment is possible;
- severe deterioration of the kidneys and liver;
- severe weakness in the limbs, the patient cannot stand on his feet;
- a sharp increase in body temperature;
- increased salivation or lacrimation.
The development of a fatal outcome due to cardiac arrest or respiration, as well as as a result of the development of intracranial bleeding, is not excluded.
With the development of poisoning, the victim needs to urgently rinse the stomach. Further, the patient should take sorbents, and after about 2 hours, laxatives, to accelerate the withdrawal of the drug from the body. Control over the patient's condition should be carried out for at least 12 hours. Hospitalization may be required depending on the condition of the victim. It is advisable to select symptomatic therapy in conjunction with a doctor.
Sumatriptan - pills for migraine, which can be taken after becoming familiar with the features of the drug, which include:
- pills are strictly forbidden to take unless the migraine is confirmed by a doctor;
- if there is at least one item from the list of prohibitions, Sumatriptan cannot be used;
- if the patient has factors that limit the intake of the medication, then the treatment is carried out according to an individual course and strictly under the supervision of a doctor;
- in the presence of neurological pathologies and serious violations of the state of blood vessels, taking pills is prohibited;
- before taking Sumatriptan, as well as when using it, the patient must exclude from the menu products that contain tyramine (cocoa, beans, tomatoes, cheeses, as well as celery, chocolate and nuts);
- if any side effects occur, inform the doctor about them, as it may be necessary to adjust the treatment or change the drug;
- patients who abuse nicotine are strictly prohibited from using the medication;
- during menopause, as well as patients over 40 years old, take pills with extreme caution;
- pills should not be used if a stroke or cerebrovascular accident is suspected;
- if the use of the product did not work, then you cannot accept it again;
- you cannot take pills to pregnant women, as they can provoke intrauterine fetal death;
- the medication is strictly forbidden to use to prevent the development of migraines.
It is strictly forbidden to combine Sumatriptan with alcohol. Alcoholic drinks have a negative effect on the liver and blood vessels, as a result, the likelihood of side effects increases.
During the period of taking the pills, you cannot drive vehicles and perform hazardous work, as well as those that require special attention.
If the patient is taking other medications before using Sumatriptan tablets or if a complex therapy, then initially it is necessary to clarify with the doctor with which drugs the use is allowed drug
Sumatriptan cannot be combined:
- with ergotamine-containing medicines. Ergotamine causes vasoconstriction, as a result, the joint administration of the drug can provoke a strong vasoconstriction and an increase in headache. Also, the development of internal bleeding is not excluded. If it is necessary to use both drugs, it is required to withstand at least 24 hours between doses of drugs;
- with antidepressants. The drugs affect the activity of the cells of the nervous system. The simultaneous use of drugs will aggravate the side effects from the use of both drugs;
- St. John's wort increases the severity of the negative reaction from taking Sumatriptan;
- preparations containing lithium salts will provoke an increase in the severity of side effects.
Sumatriptan cannot be combined with other medications that include triptan, since an overdose of the main component may develop.
List of analogues
Sumatriptan - pills for migraine, which can be replaced with drugs:
|List of substitutes||Active substance||Features of drugs|
|Amigrenin||Sumatriptan in the amount of 50 and 100 mg.||Analogue characteristics are completely identical to the original. Including by age range.|
|Rapimed||Sumatriptan at a concentration of 50 and 100 mg.||The characteristics of the substitute are completely identical to Sumatriptan. The tool also has a large list of side effects.|
|Sumamigren||Sumatriptan in the amount of 50 and 100 mg.||The drug data are similar to the original. The medication also has a long list of prohibitions.|
|Relpax||Eletriptan at a concentration of 20 and 40 mg.||The substitute is similar in characteristics to Sumatriptan. The remedy is also not taken until 18 and after 65 years.|
|Zolmitriptan||Zolmitriptan in an amount of 2.5 mg.||The drug is similar in characteristics to the original. The dosage of the drug is set individually.|
|Migrepam||Zolmitriptan at a concentration of 2.5 mg.||The action of the drug is close to that of Sumatriptan. The tool has a large list of prohibitions and side effects.|
Only a doctor can replace Sumatriptan. The specialist additionally adjusts the course of treatment, taking into account the characteristics of the analogue.
Terms, conditions of sale and storage
Sumatriptan tablets can only be purchased at a pharmacy and only with a prescription. At home, the drug should be kept away from children and sunlight, and the place should be protected from high humidity. In this case, the temperature at the storage location should be in the range from 4 to 27 degrees above zero. The shelf life of the medication is 5 years.
The price of the drug and analogues
The cost for Sumatriptan tablets, as well as for analogs discussed in this article, is indicated in the table below.
Medication price range overview:
|List of drugs||The amount of medication in the package||Minimum price||Maximum price|
|Sumatriptan 50 mg||2 tablets||RUB 88||179 r|
|10 tablets||393 r||RUB 479|
|Sumatriptan 100 mg||2 tablets||123 r||196 r|
|10 tablets||563 r||RUB 672|
|Amigrenin 50 mg||2 tablets||434 r||RUB 513|
|Amigrenin 100 mg||2 tablets||703 r||787 r|
|Rapimed 50 mg||2 tablets||227 r||273 r|
|Rapimed 100 mg||2 tablets||757 r||RUB 836|
|Sumamigren 50 mg||2 tablets||RUB 259||348 r|
|6 tablets||476 r||564 r|
|Sumamigren 100 mg||2 tablets||437 r||542 r|
|6 tablets||RUB 748||RUB 836|
|Relaxax 20 mg||2 tablets||1786 RUB||1867 RUB|
|Relaxax 40 mg||2 tablets||RUB 3198||3349 RUB|
|Zolmitriptan 2.5 mg||2 tablets||RUB 211||RUB 314|
|10 tablets||457 r||586 r|
|Migrepam 2.5 mg||2 tablets||228 r||304 RUB|
Sumatriptan can quickly and for a long time eliminate even a severe headache. But at the same time, it is strictly forbidden to use tablets without a doctor's prescription, since contraindications must be carefully excluded. In addition, the drug has a large list of dangerous side effects, including increased migraine, if the drug is not properly dosed.
Author: Kotlyachkova Svetlana
Video about the drug Sumatriptan
Quickly about Sumatriptan: