- Features of the anatomy of the pelvic organs in women, the causes of lower back pain on the left
- List of possible physiological abnormalities
- List of diseases that can provoke the appearance of lower back pain from the left back
- Classification of painful sensations
- Diagnostic methods
- How to remove pain, depending on its cause
- Exercise therapy
- Traditional methods
- Manual therapy
- Physiotherapy procedures
- Low Back Pain Videos
Pain is a protective function that signals the appearance of disorders in the body. The causes of the symptom may be of a physical nature, but it cannot be ignored either - it may be a sign of an illness. Low back pain is more common than other parts of the body. In women, the symptom is more common than in men due to the physiological characteristics of the body. The most common area for symptom onset is the left back region of the lower back.
Features of the anatomy of the pelvic organs in women, the causes of lower back pain on the left
There are more reasons for the appearance of lower back pain in women than in men, due to the peculiarities of the structure of the small pelvis.
In this area, in women, in addition to the urinary system, the reproductive organs are located:
- uterus. It is a hollow organ of muscle tissue located in the center of the pelvis (between the bladder and rectum);
- the fallopian tubes. They are muscle formations that connect the uterus to the ovary;
- ovaries. These are the gonads, in which the egg matures and hormones are produced;
- Cervix. It is the lower part of the uterus that connects the genital organ and the vagina;
- vagina. It is an elastic muscular canal that connects the external genitals to the uterus.
The development of physiological or pathological abnormalities in the listed reproductive organs in women can cause the appearance of lumbar pain with localization in the back and left of the lower back.
List of possible physiological abnormalities
Natural causes do not pose a threat to a woman's health; therapy is not required to eliminate the pain symptom.
The list of possible deviations includes:
- increased load on the spinal region. More often, pain occurs if the load is one-time (unusual for the body);
- being overweight or having large mammary glands in a woman. Overweight or large breasts place increased stress on the spine;
- inactivity of a woman. Due to stagnation of blood, pain may periodically occur;
- prolonged stay in an uncomfortable position. In cases where muscle overstrain was in the lumbar region;
- the consequences of childbirth. After childbirth, the uterus contracts, and the bones "return" to their natural position, provoking pain in the lumbar region;
- ovulation or the onset of menstruation. Soreness is justified by an increase in blood flow to the uterus and a change in hormonal levels;
- carrying a child. At the beginning of pregnancy, pain can be triggered by a restructuring of the body, and in subsequent periods, the pain is caused by an increased load on the lumbar region;
- menopause. The pain is caused by hormonal changes in the body, as well as a decrease in bone density, which contributes to the development of osteochondrosis;
- high-heeled shoes. Long-term presence, standing in such shoes, provokes muscle overstrain in the lumbar region.
If a woman is 100% sure that the pain is natural, then to eliminate it, it is enough to eliminate the cause of the symptom.
List of diseases that can provoke the appearance of lower back pain from the left back
The lower back on the left behind in women hurts due to pathological reasons almost constantly, while the symptom can sometimes weaken or worsen.
The list of pathological causes includes:
- hypothermia of the lumbar region with the subsequent development of the inflammatory process;
- injury. It can be a fall or a fight, provided that the injury was inflicted in the lumbar region. In this case, the pain symptom can be not only in the lower back, but also in the leg, in the arm, and even in the stomach;
- wear of the intervertebral discs (osteochondrosis) in the lumbar region, as a result, a woman cannot bend or straighten normally. There may be swelling at the place where the discs are worn out;
- the formation of a hernia in the lumbar region. The pain can radiate to the legs and buttocks. Violation of urination is also noted;
- pinched nerve in the lower back. The pinching process is often accompanied by convulsions and dysfunction of the limbs;
- non-standard manifestation of the development of myocardial infarction. In this case, pain may appear not only in the lower back, but also in the abdomen;
- exacerbation or the beginning of the development of pathologies in the stomach (acidity, ulcer) or in the pancreas (organ inflammation). Pain can be supplemented by impaired appetite and stool;
- the presence of a hernia in the esophageal opening. The pain is worse after eating;
- pneumonia in advanced form, when the inflammatory process has struck the pleura of the lungs. Lower back pain worsens when inhaling and becomes unbearable when coughing;
- development of diaphragmatic hernia. The pain gets worse with deep inhalation and exhalation;
- kidney inflammation or kidney stones. The pain can be unbearable when the kidney stones move. An additional symptom may be blood in the urine, urinary dysfunction, and fever;
- development of inflammation in the bladder. In this case, pus may be present in the urine, and the pain is accompanied by a high fever;
- intestinal obstruction. Along with the pain in a woman, the development of constipation and flatulence is noted;
- the presence of pathologies in the cardiovascular system. Pain occurs due to vasospasm and poor blood supply;
- development of inflammation in the appendages on the left side. In addition to pain, the woman has an increase in temperature;
- ectopic pregnancy, if the ovum is fixed in the left fallopian tube. In this case, the pain may be accompanied by bloody discharge from the vagina;
- the beginning of the development of a miscarriage. If the pain is accompanied by small discharge, dizziness, then you should immediately go to the hospital;
- the development of inflammation and other pathologies in the uterus (cyst, endometriosis, oncological formations). In addition to pain, a woman has a violation of menstruation, and also gives pain to the rectum;
- inflammation or cancer of the lungs. Pain may be accompanied by thick mucus from the lungs;
- the development of a tumor, including an oncological one, in the left kidney, left adrenal gland or in the left ovary.
The pain caused by the disease will not disappear on its own without eliminating the provoking factor. In this regard, with the appearance of regular pain in the lower back on the left behind, it is necessary to visit a doctor, followed by examination and prescription of treatment.
Classification of painful sensations
The lower back on the left behind in women hurts more often due to the presence of diseases. By the nature of the pain symptom, the attending specialist can suggest the cause of the pain, as well as how the disease is progressing.
There are 2 types of low back pain in this area:
|Kind of pain||Characteristic||What pathologies are typical for|
|Sharp, shooting||The pain appears with lightning speed in the form of a lumbago. Further it can retreat. But if a woman makes a movement or physical activity, then the pain may intensify.||List of reasons:
|Pulling, aching||The pain comes on gradually and may last for a long time. At first, a woman can tolerate her, but later the symptom becomes the cause of stiffness of movements.||What pathologies are typical for:
It should be borne in mind that aching pain can gradually turn into acute.
The impetus for intensifying the pain symptom can be:
- hypothermia of the body;
- sudden movements (tilting, lifting from the couch, sneezing);
- performing physical activities.
Regardless of the nature of the pain, but if it appears regularly or is constantly present (even if not severe), a visit to a therapist is required. After the initial examination, the specialist sends for a narrow-focus diagnostic procedure.
The lower back can hurt with varying degrees of severity, and the cause of the symptom can be both natural and pathological in nature.
To go to the hospital to determine why the lower back hurts in the back on the left, a woman should in the following cases:
- pain does not go away for more than 3 days;
- pain appears regularly;
- pain occurs with other symptoms.
When you go to the hospital, the examination of the patient is carried out in the following stages:
- Collecting anamnesis. At this stage, the doctor asks the patient:
- when the pain first appeared;
- what preceded the onset of pain;
- whether there were spinal injuries near the lower back;
- the nature of the pain;
- the presence of additional symptoms;
- if the woman and her immediate family have chronic diseases. If so, which ones;
- what was used to relieve pain.
- Visual inspection:
- the doctor examines the woman while standing to rule out the presence of curvature of the spine and swelling in the lumbar region;
- the woman is asked to lie on the couch face down to palpate the painful area;
- the doctor may ask the woman to bend over, do squats, and other manipulations to determine if the pain increases with exertion.
- Delivery of analyzes:
- a classic blood test helps to determine the general condition of the patient;
- detailed blood test. Allows you to identify the exacerbation of chronic pathologies, changes in hormonal levels or the development of malignant neoplasms;
- Analysis of urine. It is necessary to determine the state of the tissues of the urinary system;
- cal. To exclude pathologies in the intestines, as well as in other organs of the digestive tract.
- Hardware inspection:
- ultrasound examination. Ultrasound helps to determine the development of inflammation or the presence of tumors in nearby organs;
- radiography. X-ray helps to assess the condition of the vertebrae, determine the wear of the intervertebral discs, diagnose the formation of intervertebral hernia;
- CT scan. During a CT scan, a specialist determines the condition of the spine, the presence of hernias or infringements;
- Magnetic resonance imaging. MRI allows you to assess the condition of tissues in the lower back and in nearby organs in 3 projections, as well as to study the condition of nerve endings and blood vessels;
- electrocardiogram. ECG helps to exclude myocardial infarction and the presence of other heart pathologies that can provoke back pain;
- electroneuromyography. The method allows you to determine the state of the nervous system.
According to the data obtained, the therapist directs the woman to narrow-profile doctors, for example, a traumatologist, gynecologist, neurologist and other specialists.
How to remove pain, depending on its cause
The lower back on the left behind in women hurts more often due to pathological abnormalities.
If a symptom is provoked by a disease, then to eliminate it, the doctor prescribes complex therapy, consisting of:
- use of medicines. These can be oral agents, external agents, and even injections;
- carrying out physiotherapy exercises and manual therapy. The methods are used mainly at the stage of recovery;
- physiotherapy. They are prescribed in combination with drug treatment.
You can also reduce the pain symptom using folk methods. But first, it is required to find out the cause of the onset of the symptom, as well as agree on the choice of folk remedies with the attending physician.
Important. If the disease is started or the methods listed above do not work, the doctor may prescribe surgery (for example, kidney stones, cancers in the uterus or ovaries).
Medication therapy for low back pain of a pathological nature is used in a complex.
Depending on the diagnosis and the degree of neglect of the disease, drugs from the following groups are prescribed:
|List of groups||List of medicines|
The complex therapy includes medications that eliminate symptoms (pain, fever, inflammation) and the cause (infection, hormonal imbalance, bone tissue disorder) of the disease.
The lower back hurts on the left behind in women, often after injuries or as a residual symptom after previous illnesses. To restore the condition of the tissues, the doctor prescribes physiotherapy exercises.
The aim of the method is to strengthen muscle tissue and restore blood circulation. A set of exercises is selected by a specialist individually for each patient, and at the same time, classes should be carried out under the supervision of a "trainer" and regularly. Periodic physical activity will not give the desired result.
The method can be used after the permission of the doctor, since otherwise the woman, not knowing the cause of the pain, can only worsen the condition.
The most popular methods include:
- applying dry compresses. In this case, it is required to completely exclude the presence of inflammation and infection in the body;
- applying a compress from the root and leaves of horseradish, burdock leaf or cabbage to the lower back;
- taking warm baths with herbs (chamomile, mint, birch shoots);
- the use of warming ointments or tinctures prepared with herbs or with the addition of essential oils (burdock tincture, eucalyptus ointment, dandelion root tincture);
- rubbing the lower back at night with a triple cologne;
- drinking oregano or mint tea before bed.
In addition, you can use homeopathic medicines (Arnica, Hypericum, Magnesium), but their use is possible with the permission of a doctor.
Massage activates blood flow in the lumbar region, is able to return the vertebrae to the desired position, and eliminates spasms. When choosing this method, pinching of nerve endings should be excluded, massage is also prohibited in the presence of infection and inflammation in the body.
Important. Massage should be done by a specialist, self-medication can provoke increased pain.
Physiotherapy procedures can enhance the effectiveness of drug treatment, the list of which includes:
- electrophoresis. With the help of an electric current, drugs are injected subcutaneously;
- ultrasound therapy. With the help of ultrasound, muscle function and blood flow are restored;
- UHF. Ultra-high-frequency therapy has a thermal effect on the affected area, providing a warming effect.
The type of procedures is selected by the attending specialist.
Women are more sensitive to pain, and because of the location near the lower back of the reproductive organs, the likelihood of developing the symptom is higher than in men. If a woman has pain on a regular basis, then she needs to go to the hospital, since pain on the left and back of the lower back can be a sign of a serious illness.
Author: Kotlyachkova Svetlana
Low Back Pain Videos
How to determine if the spine or kidneys are in pain: