Mometasone is a nasal spray that is used for the symptomatic treatment of patients suffering from allergic rhinitis. This drug is aboutbelongs to the pharmacological group of glucocorticosteroids, has a powerful anti-inflammatory formula.
The therapeutic effect of the spray Mometasone is realized due to its direct effect on the process of protein synthesis, inhibiting the biologically active substance phospholipase A2, which takes part in the manifestation of local inflammatory reactions. The average price of this drug varies from 360 to 380 rubles. for 1 bottle.
- 1 Forms of release and composition of the drug
- 2 Pharmacological properties
- 3 Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- 4 Indications for use
- 5 Contraindications
- 6 At what age can the drug be used?
- 7 Instructions for use, dosage
- 8 Side effects
- 9 Overdose
- 10 special instructions
- 11 Drug interactions
- 12 Analogues for children and adults
- 13 Terms, conditions of sale and storage
- 14 Price
- 15 Corticosteroid videos
Forms of release and composition of the drug
Mometasone is a local-spectrum drug that comes in the form of a nasal spray for instillation into the nose. This medication is a completely transparent liquid solution with a specific medicinal odor.
spray is carried out in white plastic bottles with a capacity of 10 ml. Each vial of the drug Mometasone contains at least 60 doses, the injection of which is carried out using a convenient pipette cap.
Pressing the top of the bottle dispenses the drug solution. On average, 1 dose of the spray contains about 50 μg of the active substance. The main packaging of the medication is a cardboard box, on the surface of which white, light green and lilac colors are applied. The price of the drug is fully consistent with its quality indicators.
This medicinal product is completed with detailed instructions for practical use. Spray Mometasone has a simple chemical composition that is completely safe for children of the younger age group. The active component of the drug is the substance mometasone furoate with a concentration of 1%.
The auxiliary function of the glucocorticosteroid is performed by the following ingredients:
- microcrystalline cellulose as well as sodium carmellose;
- sterile water for injection, which undergoes rigorous industrial preparation and purification for the content of mineral salts;
- citric acid, which is used as a preservative;
- polysorbate 80, which takes part in stabilizing the chemical composition of the solution;
- benzalkonium chloride, which prevents the premature breakdown of the constituent components of the drug, prolongs the shelf life of this medication;
- glycerin, which has a moisturizing effect on the mucous membrane of the nasal canals, and also acts as a universal solvent.
The pharmacological formula of the spray Mometasone combines well with various drugs.
This drug can be used as a monotherapeutic agent, or it is included in a complex course of treatment with other potent medicines.
Mometasone is a nasal spray (the price of the drug is affordable for most consumers with an average income level), which has the following pharmacological properties:
- removes signs of acute and chronic inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nasal canals, regardless of the nature of the origin of this pathology;
- has a pronounced antiallergic effect in relation to patients suffering from attacks of rhinitis, which is caused by pollen of plants, mold fungi, household dust, hair of domestic and farm animals, as well as others irritants;
- narrows the walls of the smallest blood vessels located in the nasal canals, which allows you to completely get rid of the signs of a cold, clear the nasal passages of thick or thin mucus;
- dries up the nasal mucosa, preventing the formation of favorable conditions for the development of pathogenic microflora;
- reduces the appearance of itching, signs of redness and swelling of the nasal passages in patients who suffer from allergic rhinitis with seasonal manifestations of this ailment (an indirect property of the Mometasone spray is the relief of tearing attacks eye).
In patients with polyposis of the nasal openings, Mometasone nasal spray can partially eliminate nasal congestion, reduces the volume of polyps, improves the trophism of epithelial tissues, which are in a state of chronic inflammation.
Clinical trials of this drug have shown its high degree of effectiveness in the treatment of rhinosinusitis in children aged 12 years and older. The maximum realization of the pharmacological properties of Mometasone is achieved when it is used simultaneously with antihistamines.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The pharmacodynamics of the spray Mometasone is characterized by the local spectrum of action of its active substance. The chemical compound mometasone furoate is of synthetic origin. This is a glucocorticosteroid, which, after getting on the mucous membrane of the nasal canals, has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect.
The therapeutic effect of this component is realized in therapeutic doses, the mass fraction of which is not capable of provoking the development of negative effects and reactions of the human body. The mechanism of the implementation of the anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties of the spray lies in its effect on the body's receptors responsible for the release of leukocytes, as well as leukotrienes.
The pharmacological activity of mometasone furoate is 10 times higher than that of other steroids with an anti-inflammatory spectrum of action. Spray Mometasone is equally effective in the treatment of patients with mild and severe allergic rhinitis, the presence of large swelling of the nasal mucosa and epithelial tissues.
A pronounced therapeutic effect occurs already in the first 12 hours from the beginning of the use of this drug. Complete relief with the restoration of nasal breathing occurs within 36 hours of regular use of the spray.
In patients with allergic rhinitis, the feeling of itching and burning decreases, signs of lacrimation are eliminated. The pharmacodynamics of Mometasone was studied for 15 days of continuous use of the drug in patients with polyposis and allergic rhinitis.
At all stages of the study, the drug showed high therapeutic efficacy with a minimal likelihood of side effects. After completion of the course of treatment, relapses of the pathological state of the nasal canals were practically not observed.
The pharmacokinetics of the spray Mometasone is characterized by the minimum absorption of its constituent substance into the general bloodstream. The biological availability of mometasone furoate in blood plasma is no more than 1%. A medicinal spray that enters the nasopharynx and then is swallowed along with saliva is practically not absorbed into the walls of the gastrointestinal tract.
Under the influence of digestive enzymes, this substance undergoes active chemical decomposition. The products of the primary metabolism are excreted from the patient's body along with urine and feces.
The main pharmacokinetic properties of the nasal spray Mometasone are realized in the area of its direct application without creating a drug load on the liver and kidney tissues.
Indications for use
Mometasone is a nasal spray (the price of the medication is much lower than that of drugs with similar properties), which is used to treat adults and children.
This medication is indicated for use in the following cases:
- therapy of year-round and seasonal rhinitis, which has an allergic nature of origin (spray Mometasone does not cause a drug dependence, therefore it can be used on an ongoing basis, as well as in combination with antihistamines, tablet and injection release forms);
- prevention of seasonal allergic rhinitis of moderate and severe forms of the course (the use of the spray should begin no later than 30 days before the expected date of the manifestation of the common cold);
- elimination of pathological symptoms associated with the presence of nasal polyps (Mometasone allows you to restore the sense of smell, remove nasal congestion, remove signs of edema of epithelial tissues).
The appointment of the spray Mometasone should be carried out only by the attending physician, allergist or otolaryngologist according to the results of a preliminary examination of the patient. The cause of rhinitis is established without fail, and measures are taken to eliminate it.
For children, this drug is prescribed by a pediatrician. Mometasone can be included in a comprehensive course of antihistamine therapy when an allergy provoked inflammation of the nasal mucosa. The nasal spray can help speed up the process of nasopharyngeal tissue repair.
Mometasone is a nasal spray (the price of the drug is at an average level), which has a minimum number of restrictions on its use.
This drug is contraindicated for therapeutic use in the presence of the following circumstances:
- on the surface of the patient's nasal mucosa, a localized focus of infection is found, which periodically causes an acute inflammatory process, edema of epithelial tissues, and also becomes the cause of rhinitis (for example, if, according to the results of a diagnostic examination, Staphylococcus aureus was inoculated, or another pathogenic microflora);
- mechanical trauma to the bridge of the nose or the inner lining of the nasal canals, which have signs of open wounds and ulcerative formations;
- previous surgery, which involves long-term restoration and healing of tissues (Mometasone, like most other glucocorticosteroids, slows down the regeneration of damaged areas of the body);
- individual intolerance to the constituent components of the spray, which is expressed in the aggravation of the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Mometasone nasal spray is not recommended for women who are pregnant. This drug is strictly prohibited for patients lactating a baby with breast milk. To relieve the symptoms of nasal polyposis, Mometasone spray can only be used in patients who are at least 18 years of age.
At what age can the drug be used?
Mometasone is a nasal spray (the price of the medication corresponds to its quality characteristics), which is allowed to be used to eliminate rhinitis in children aged 3 years and older. In relation to young patients, the drug is not used, since there is no laboratory-confirmed data on its safety for patients in this category.
Instructions for use, dosage
Before using Mometasone, you should take a spray bottle, and then shake it thoroughly to mix the medicinal solution.
After that, the following rules for the use of this medication must be followed:
- Clear the nostrils of mucous contents. It is recommended to blow your nose and then rinse them with warm water.
- Remove the lid of the spray bottle, and then insert its upper part into the nasal cavity.
- Inject the drug onto the surface of the nasal mucosa.
- Take a horizontal body position, throwing your head back.
- Lie for 10 minutes so that the constituent components of Mometasone have a local therapeutic effect, and the drug solution does not leak from the nostril.
After the expiration of the specified period of time, the patient can return to his usual way of life. The dosage of the drug is determined individually by the attending physician and depends on the type of disease. Children aged 3 to 11 years with signs of allergic rhinitis or runny nose, provoked by other factors, should receive 1 injection of Mometasone in each nostril.
The drug is used once a day at the same time. A child aged 12 years and older, as well as adult patients, use 2 spray injections into each nasal opening. In this case, the medication is also used no more than once a day.
In the absence of a positive therapeutic effect, the dosage can be increased to 4 injections in each nostril. The total duration of treatment depends on the severity and type of the disease, as well as the body's response to the action of the glucocorticosteroid substance.
Patients who are prone to seasonal allergic rhinitis should start using this drug 3-5 days before the estimated date of occurrence of the potential irritant. For example, the flowering of a particular plant species.
If, within 5-6 weeks of therapy with Mometasone spray, it is not possible to completely stop the runny nose, remove inflammation, itching and burning inside the nasal passages, it is necessary to consider the use of more potent funds.
Mometasone nasal spray is well tolerated by children, adults and elderly patients. Despite this, the occurrence of the following side effects is not excluded, which appear within 1 hour. after applying the drug to the nasal mucosa:
- decreased local immunity, which entails a tendency to infection of the upper respiratory tract;
- anaphylactic reactions;
- increased dryness of the nasal mucosa;
- the occurrence of bronchial spasm;
- opening of nosebleeds;
- violation of the integrity of the nasal septum;
- ulcerative lesion of the nasal mucosa;
- a sore throat;
- temporary dysfunction of taste buds;
- frequent sneezing.
Patients with individual intolerance to the constituent components of the spray may face an exacerbation of an allergic reaction. In this case, the mucous membrane of the nasal canals becomes even more red, irritated, itching, burning sensation intensifies, and lacrimation is added.
If side effects of Mometasone appear, it is necessary to stop further use of this drug, and also inform the attending physician about the incident who prescribed this medication.
Due to the local action of Mometasone, an overdose of this drug is unlikely. In the case of too frequent use of the spray without observing the rules of the instruction, the development of allergic reactions, as well as the appearance of side effects, which are described in the section above, are not excluded.
An excess amount of this drug that has entered the gastrointestinal tract can provoke nausea, vomiting, spasmodic pain in the abdomen, as well as cause suppression of the functional activity of the hypothalamus, pituitary gland and adrenal glands.
Patients with signs of an overdose with Mometasone spray should receive symptomatic therapy, depending on the pathological signs that were found in them. In the event of an exacerbation of an allergic reaction, it will be necessary to take antihistamines in an injection and tablet form of release.
Patients with an oral overdose of Mometasone undergo a gastric lavage procedure, receive intravenous droppers of physical solution and glucose. At this stage of therapy, the main task of physicians is to cleanse the patient's blood from mometasone furoate metabolites.
Mometasone can cause local immunosuppression. In this regard, for the period of treatment with this drug, it is recommended to avoid contact with a wide range of people, as well as limit yourself to visiting public places.
The nasal spray is not recommended for patients diagnosed with open or latent tuberculosis of the respiratory tract.
It is necessary to exclude the use of Mometasone in relation to patients who have inflammation of the nasal mucosa caused by a bacterial, viral or fungal infection.
Patients taking a nasal spray on a regular basis should every 3 months. be examined by an otolaryngologist for negative changes in the nasal mucosa.
Mometasone nasal spray works well with antihistamines, the pharmacological properties of which are aimed at eliminating signs of an allergic reaction.
It is not recommended to carry out the parallel use of other drugs of the local spectrum of action, which also belong to the category of glucocorticosteroids. Otherwise, allergy symptoms may worsen or side effects may occur.
Analogues for children and adults
The table below lists topical nasal sprays that are analogs of the drug Mometasone:
|Name of the medication||Price|
|Nosephrine spray 120 doses||RUB 499|
|Momat Rino nasal spray in a bottle for 120 doses||401 RUB|
|Momat Reno for 60 doses||296 r|
|Momenza spray for 140 doses||369 r|
|Momezal allergo spray in a bottle for 140 doses||RUB 380|
Unauthorized use of analog drugs is strictly prohibited. These medications should only be prescribed by the attending physician.
Terms, conditions of sale and storage
To buy a bottle of Mometasone nasal spray, you will need to present a prescription from your doctor. Storage of the medication should be carried out at a temperature not higher than +25 degrees, away from direct sunlight. The general shelf life of the drug is 2 years. After opening the bottle cap, the medicinal solution can be stored for no more than 2 months.
In retail pharmacy chains, the cost of 1 bottle of Mometasone spray varies from 360 to 380 rubles.
Mometasone nasal spray is an effective topical drug for allergic rhinitis. This drug has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect, relieves swelling, itching and burning of the nasal mucosa.
Mometasone can be used during the seasonal manifestation of allergies, as well as throughout the year. Patients with signs of individual intolerance to glucocorticosteroids should refrain from using this drug. The price of a nasal spray is affordable for most middle-income working citizens.
Komarovsky about hormonal drugs: