- Release form
- Chemical composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Indications for use
- At what age can the drug be used?
- Instructions for use, dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Drug interactions
- List of analogues
- Terms, conditions of sale and storage
- The price of the drug and analogues
Maltofer is a Swiss medicine to increase the level of iron in the blood with its deficiency. The drug is produced in 4 dosage forms: solution for injection, syrup and drops for oral administration, as well as tablets No. 30. At the same time, the price for all forms is practically the same.
Maltofer in tablet form are chewable tablets with a classic flat round shape and a chocolate-vanilla flavor, the color of the tablets is white with many brown blotches. For ease of separation, there is a risk on one side of the tablet.
The drug is placed in the amount of 10 pcs. in honeycomb blisters made of aluminum. The carton contains 3 records and instructions.
The components of Maltofer tablets are:
|List of components||Component characteristics|
|Ferric iron hydroxide polymaltose||The substance replenishes iron deficiency, which is necessary not only for the delivery of oxygen to organs and tissues, but is also responsible for energy metabolism and brain activity.|
|Dextarts||The component increases the volume of circulating blood, has a detoxifying effect and restores blood flow.|
|Macrogol 600||The component attracts liquid and has a laxative effect.|
|Talc||The element is used as a filler, thickener; in addition, talc makes it easier for the tablet to slide along the digestive tract.|
|Sodium cyclamate||The substance is a synthetic sweetener that does not cause an increase in blood glucose levels.|
|Microcrystalline cellulose||The component is used as a filler, and MCC also gives the tablets a stable, homogeneous texture. In addition, the component facilitates the dissolution of the tablet and allows the active element to be released gradually, prolonging the duration of the medication.|
|Vanillin||The substance is used as a flavoring agent, which gives the tablets a pleasant sweet scent.|
|Cocoa powder||The component has a tonic and restorative effect. It also improves physical and emotional stamina.|
|Chocolate flavor||The component not only gives the tablets a pleasant aroma, but also helps to normalize mood, fights depression.|
The amount of active element per 1 tablet is 357 mg, which is equal to 100 mg of iron.
Maltofer (tablets No. 30), the price of which is in the middle price category, is included in the group of antianemic drugs.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
After administration, the main component of the tablet is absorbed in the duodenum, as well as in the small intestine. Further, the active substance enters the bone marrow, where it binds to erythrocytes. In the case of normalization of the iron index in the blood, the active element accumulates in the liver, forming reserves. Part of the main component that has not been absorbed is excreted from the body with feces.
Indications for use
Maltofer "tablets No. 30", the price of which varies by region, is prescribed when a patient is diagnosed with a low concentration of iron in the blood, which can be caused by the following reasons:
- pregnancy. When carrying a child, the drug is used not only to diagnose anemia, but also to prevent its development. Since during this period, the incoming amount of iron from food may not be enough;
- difficult childbirth with great blood loss;
- the presence of profuse bleeding (including prolonged internal bleeding, for example, with an ulcer). The drug not only restores the iron index, but also helps to normalize the volume of circulating blood;
- carrying out an operation, which is accompanied by large blood loss. Maltofer may be prescribed prior to surgery;
- heavy menstrual bleeding;
- taking medications that provoke the development of anemia, including chemotherapy;
- finding the patient on a diet. It can be a diet for medicinal purposes or for the purpose of weight loss;
- age after 60 years;
- children during the period of active growth.
For prophylactic purposes, the drug can be taken only after it has been prescribed by a doctor.
Before starting to take Maltofer tablets, the doctor must exclude the following prohibitions from the patient:
- intolerance to the components of the tablet (not only the main element);
- increased amount of iron in the body;
- impaired absorption of iron;
- accelerated breakdown of red blood cells;
- dysfunction of the bone marrow, including those caused by oncological pathology;
- slowing down the removal of iron from the body;
- anemia caused by lead poisoning;
- damage to articular tissues in severe form;
- advanced kidney or liver disease;
- severe narrowing of the inlet of the stomach;
- exacerbation of pathologies of the digestive tract;
- regular hardware blood purification;
- violation of hematopoiesis due to a deficiency in the body of vitamin B12.
In addition, it is undesirable to use the medication in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, since data on the safety of fetal formation have not been provided. In the subsequent periods of bearing a child, as well as during lactation, it is allowed to use Maltofer.
At what age can the drug be used?
Maltofer in the form of chewable tablets should not be prescribed to children under 12 years of age (for a younger age, use the liquid form of the medication). The ban is due to the fact that children can choke on the drug.
Instructions for use, dosage
Maltofer in the form of tablets should be taken simultaneously with food or immediately after the end of food intake (while the tablet is swallowed whole or chewed). When choosing this dosage form (No. 30, which means that the package contains 30 tablets), the drug will only be enough for a prophylactic course. For the treatment of anemia, the duration of administration and dosage are longer, and, therefore, the price of therapy is higher.
Features of dosage of Maltofer tablets, taking into account the cause and form of severity of anemia:
|The cause and severity of anemia||Dosage of the drug per day||Course and comments|
|Anemia during pregnancy||2-3 tablets. After stabilization of the iron level, the dosage is reduced to 1 pc. in a day.||Maltofer, after leveling the iron index, continue to take (in a prophylactic dose) until childbirth.|
|Anemia in adults and children over 12 years of age||1-3 tablets. The dose depends on the age and severity of the anemia.||The course is from 3 to 5 months. After that, 1-2 months in a prophylactic dosage.|
|Prevention of anemia||1 tablet every 24 hours||30-60 days.|
|Decreased iron caused by blood loss||2-3 tablets. Depends on the severity of blood loss and its cause.||It is taken until the iron index is restored. Then another about 1-2 months in a prophylactic dose.|
|Heavy menstrual flow||1-2 tablets. The amount of the drug depends on the abundance of secretions and the duration of menstruation.||The tablets should be started about 2-3 days before menstruation and continue for 2-3 days after the discharge ends.|
|Undergoing treatment that provokes the development of anemia||1-3 tablets. The dosage is selected individually by the doctor and depends on the severity of the treatment and the severity of the anemia.||The duration of the course and the exact dose is determined by the attending physician. If necessary, the doctor can replace the tablet form with an injection one.|
|Diet food||1 tablet each||Maltofer is taken about 2 months after the end of the diet.|
|The period of active growth in children||1 tablet each||Maltofer is recommended to be taken in combination with other medicines.|
|Aged people||0.5-1 tablets||The tablets are taken for 1-2 months. Fasting break for 3-4 months and repeat the course again.|
Important. The exact daily dose of Maltofer tablets can only be prescribed by a doctor. It is forbidden to select a course on your own, since an excess of iron in the body can cause the development of diabetes, cirrhosis of the liver and necrosis of intestinal tissues.
If it becomes necessary to independently determine the dosage, then you should rely on the following data on the daily needs of the body:
- children over 12 years old, as well as adults, with severe anemia - 100-300 mg of iron or 1-3 tablets;
- children over 12 years old, as well as adults, with latent anemia or with prophylaxis - 50-100 mg or 1 / 2-1 tablet.
Important. Despite the fact that the tablets are allowed to be chewed, it is not advisable to do so, as they stain the tongue and teeth well. In this regard, the drug must be taken whole or by biting the tablet in half, for ease of swallowing.
Before you start taking Maltofer tablets, you need to study what side effects from the use of the medication are acceptable and do not require discontinuation of the drug, and when treatment should be stopped:
- darkening of feces. The symptom does not require discontinuation of treatment;
- diarrhea (with prolonged therapy). Liquefaction of stool causes macrogol. With the development of severe diarrhea, it may be necessary to reduce the dose of Maltofer or take additional, fixing medications;
- nausea. The symptom can be reduced by taking the tablets after meals or lowering the prescribed dose;
- stomach ache. The tablets can irritate the stomach lining, which is painful. If the pain is not severe and temporary, then a reduction in dosage may be sufficient. If the pain is severe, then the patient needs to check the stomach for pathologies, possibly an exacerbation of the ulcer, provoked by Maltofer. As a result, the course of treatment is stopped;
- vomit. If vomiting occurs regularly, then a replacement of the drug is required, since iron will not be absorbed (absorption of the active substance occurs in the intestine, and due to vomiting, the drug will not be in it do);
- constipation. Most iron medications cause constipation. Your doctor may make dietary adjustments or prescribe mild laxatives. Cancellation of the medication is not required;
- darkening of the teeth. To reduce the likelihood of changing the color of the tooth enamel, you need to brush your teeth immediately after taking the pill. And also try to swallow the product whole. The symptom does not require discontinuation of the medication;
- muscle cramps or severe weakness. The symptom often occurs when taking the medication for a long time or in a large dosage. The doctor may stop treatment or reduce the dose;
- headache. The symptom may be caused by a change in the oxygen concentration in the blood and is temporary. There is no need to cancel Maltofer.
If the patient has itching, urticaria, or breathing problems, then the patient has an allergy to the composition, which will only intensify in the future. In this case, an abrupt termination of the course of taking the pills is made.
With a single oral administration of the drug Maltofer in a large dose, the development of poisoning is unlikely, since the body will not absorb more than 200 mg of iron. But in the case of regular use of the drug in large quantities, it is possible that the level of iron in the blood will rise above the permissible levels.
In this case, poisoning can manifest itself with the following symptoms:
- severe vomiting and diarrhea. In this case, vomit and feces are dark in color and blood streaks may be present;
- severe abdominal pain;
- severe weakness, pallor and clammy skin;
- decrease in pressure;
- the patient begins to lose weight dramatically;
- the development of seizures.
If the excess iron is not removed from the body, but on the contrary continue to take Maltofer tablets, then it is possible that the liver, heart, blood vessels, as well as the kidneys and pancreas will develop.
Important. If symptoms of an overdose are found, it is necessary to go to the hospital (the active substance is deposited in the liver and tissues, and is not excreted on its own), since intravenous administration of an iron antidote may be required, which is Deferoxamine.
Maltofer (tablets No. 30), the price of which is similar to drugs of similar action, should be taken subject to the rules described below:
- you should not take more than 2 tablets at a time, since the body cannot absorb more than 200 mg of iron at a time. That is, if you immediately take 3 tablets, then only 2 pcs will be absorbed;
- iron is better absorbed if consumed at the same time as food;
- ascorbic acid improves the absorption of iron, but at the same time, the risk of side effects increases;
- check with the doctor in advance with which medicines Maltofer interacts;
- chicken eggs, grains and milk products impair the absorption of iron. Therefore, they should not be used together;
- in infectious and oncological diseases, it is recommended to stop taking iron, since the drug will provoke an exacerbation of the disease. Sometimes, with the permission of the doctor, the drug can still be prescribed;
- the tablet contains about 0.04 bread units. This indicator should be taken into account by patients with diabetes;
- if the patient received a blood transfusion, then a decrease in the prescribed dosage is temporarily required;
- Maltofer can cause the development of diarrhea, in this regard, it may be necessary to take fixing agents and additionally observe an increased drinking regime in order to avoid the development of dehydration.
Brush your teeth every time you take the pill to reduce the chance of staining your teeth.
Maltofer tablets are not recommended to be combined only with ascorbic acid, which will enhance the absorption of the active substance, which can lead to an oversaturation of the body with iron. It should also be borne in mind that the drug can reduce the effectiveness of antibiotics.
List of analogues
Maltofer (tablets No. 30), the price of which depends on the place of sale, is prescribed only when anemia is confirmed. If it becomes necessary to replace the product, then the following analogs can be used:
|List of analogues||Features of the drug|
|Likferr 100||The solution for intravenous administration can be used after 18 years. The drug can only be purchased with a prescription.|
|CosmoFer||Solution for intramuscular and intravenous administration. The drug is not prescribed until the age of 18. Sale by prescription.|
|Sorbifer Durules||Pills. prescribed after 12 years. Prescription.|
|Ferrum Lek||Produced in the form of chewable tablets, oral syrup and solution for intramuscular administration. The analogue has no age restrictions. The tablet form can be crushed and mixed with food. It is a prescription drug.|
|Ferro-Foilgamma||Capsules. appoint after 18 years. Prescription drug.|
The choice of a substitute should be made by a doctor, since an adjustment in the course of treatment may be required.
Terms, conditions of sale and storage
Maltofer tablets are a prescription drug but can be purchased freely in some pharmacies. At home, the product should be stored in places protected from sunlight and also at a temperature not exceeding 25 degrees above zero. The shelf life of the medication is 5 years.
The price of the drug and analogues
You can buy Maltofer tablets and the considered analogues at the following prices:
|Name of the medication||The amount of the drug in the package||Minimum price||Maximum price|
|Maltofer||30 tablets||266 r||330 RUB|
|Likferr 100||5 ml / 5 ampoules||1489 RUB||2245 RUB|
|CosmoFer||2ml / 5 ampoules||RUB 4589||RUB 6012|
|Ferrum Lek||Tablets 30 pcs.||287 r||348 r|
|Ferrum Lek||Syrup 100 ml||RUB 138||194 r|
|Ferrum Lek||Solution 2 ml / 5 ampoules||1303 RUB||1496 RUB|
|Sorbifer Durules||50 tablets||507 r||RUB 603|
|Ferro-Foilgamma||20 capsules||206 rub 294 rub|
Maltofer (tablets No. 30) allows you to normalize the iron index in anemia in a fairly short time and while the achieved level remains for a long time. The disadvantage of this dosage form is a ban on use for up to 12 years. Therefore, if it is necessary to eliminate anemia in children, the doctor can prescribe syrup or drops that are allowed from birth and at the same time practically do not differ in price.
Author: Kotlyachkova Svetlana