- Composition and form of release
- Pharmacological properties
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Indications for use
- Method of administration and dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Drug interactions
- Terms of sale, storage and prices
- Video about the drug Ospamox
Ospamox is Austrian antibiotic of the penicillin group. The drug differs from other antibiotics in a smaller list of contraindications and side effects. Also, the medication is more convenient in dosing, since it is produced in the form of an oral suspension. In addition, due to the pleasant aroma and sweet taste, children take the “no whims” remedy.
Composition and form of release
Ospamox is available in 3 types: tablets, granules and capsules. For children, the most convenient form of releasing are granules, which are described later in the publication.
The granules are white with a slight yellow tint. The suspension prepared from them has a similar color, as well as a berry aroma and sweet taste with a slight bitterness. The granules are placed in dark glass bottles with a capacity of 100 ml. A ready-made solution of granules and water is 60 ml of a ready-made suspension.
A bottle of granules is placed in a cardboard box along with instructions and a measuring spoon or syringe. To protect against children, the bottles are screwed with a tamper-evident cap.
The components of Ospamox granules are:
|List of components||
Characteristics of elements
|Amoxicillin trihydrate||The component is an antibiotic from the group of semi-synthetic penicillins.|
|Anhydrous citric acid||The substance is used as a preservative, in addition, it has an anti-inflammatory, bactericidal and vaso-strengthening effect, it also normalizes the blood composition and improves the absorption of the drug.|
|Aspartame||The component is a sweetener and gives the finished suspension a sweet taste.|
|Talc||The element allows the granules to maintain the desired appearance and not to cake during storage; the substance also has a bactericidal and laxative effect.|
|Guar galactomannan||The component has detoxifying properties, restores blood composition, reducing cholesterol levels. Additionally, Guar is a stabilizer.|
|Sodium benzoate||A preservative with expectorant properties.|
|Trinate citrate anhydrous||Preservative and anticoagulant. In addition, the substance has a laxative effect and normalizes the excretion of urine from the body.|
|Precipitated silicon dioxide||The element removes toxins that are formed as a result of the vital activity of bacteria.|
|Lemon flavor||The component imparts a lemon flavor to the slurry.|
|Peach-apricot flavor||The ingredient gives the suspension a peach-apricot aroma that softens the citrus scent.|
|Orange flavor||The component gives the suspension a light orange flavor and yellow tint.|
The amount of amoxicillin in granules can be 125 and 250 mg.
Ospamox suspension granules belong to the group of semi-synthetic penicillins.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
Ospamox suspension (this form of release is recommended for children) has the following properties:
- the main component has a destructive effect on the membranes of bacterial cells, as a result, they actively die in the process of growth or reproduction;
- helps to strengthen the immune system;
- has a laxative effect, while harmful substances are excreted from the body along with feces;
- removes excess cholesterol from the body;
- facilitates the process of removing sputum from the lungs (the effect is expressed in a weak form);
- activates the removal of toxins and harmful substances;
- normalizes blood composition;
- contributes to the normalization of the state of the walls of blood vessels;
- has an anti-inflammatory effect.
After ingestion, the body absorbs up to 90% of the main substance, the maximum amount of which is noted in about 1.5 hours after taking the medication. The main component can penetrate into the fetus, into breast milk, and is also contained in the secretions of the bronchi and bile. The active ingredient is excreted from the body within 5-20 hours.
Suspension Ospamox has no toxic effect on the body. And also food intake does not reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
Indications for use
The main indication for the use of the Ospamox suspension is the diagnosis of infectious pathologies in the patient, the causative agents of which are sensitive to the active substance of the drug.
The list of these diseases includes:
- the development of an inflammatory process in the lungs, in which sputum leaves with pus;
- the presence of inflammation in the respiratory tract of an infectious and non-infectious nature;
- diagnosing the process of inflammation in the tissues of the ear;
- identification of the process of inflammation in the tonsils of the pharynx;
- the development of inflammation (of an infectious and non-infectious nature) in the tissues of the nose;
- whooping cough is a dangerous infectious disease that proceeds in an acute form, accompanied by a paroxysmal severe cough. The drug is used only at the initial stage of the disease;
- the presence of inflammation processes in the bladder;
- diagnosing inflammation in the prostate gland;
- identification of the inflammatory process in the urethra;
- the development of inflammation in the kidneys;
- the presence of inflammation processes in the tissues of the uterus;
- diagnosis of venereal diseases of a bacterial nature;
- in the combination therapy of dermatological pathologies of an infectious nature;
- identification of diseases of the digestive tract of an infectious nature in a patient;
- the development of inflammatory processes in the uterus after an abortion;
- listeriosis. The disease can affect various organs, both the brain and the tissues of the eye;
- leptospirosis. Pathology is manifested by a lesion of the capillary infection;
- identification of inflammatory processes in the tissues of the heart;
- prevention of the development of the inflammatory process and the addition of infection after surgery.
The need for antibiotic use is strictly determined by the pediatrician.
Ospamox (suspension for children has some contraindications) is not recommended for use if the patient has the following restrictions:
- hypersensitivity to the components of the suspension granules, including severe food allergy;
- Infectious mononucleosis. This is a viral disease that affects various organs and tissues;
- epilepsy. A disease manifested by convulsive seizures;
- acute lymphocytic leukemia. The disease is manifested by a malignant lesion of the hematopoietic system;
- the patient has diseases of the digestive tract, which are accompanied by frequent vomiting and loose stools;
- bronchial asthma;
- any viral diseases. The ban on the use of an antibiotic is justified by the fact that the drug greatly weakens the body (the active substance destroys not only pathogenic bacteria, but also beneficial microflora), as a result, the virus begins to develop more actively and the disease is progressing.
In addition to the listed prohibitions, the antibiotic should be used with caution if the patient has inflammatory processes in the brain tissues (meningitis) and if the kidneys and liver function poorly.
There are no age restrictions for the use of Ospamox suspension.
Method of administration and dosage
The dosage of the Ospamox suspension is set by the pediatrician according to the weight of the child, and also taking into account the severity of the symptoms of pathology. That is, for 1 kg of the patient's weight, from 25 to 50 mg of amoxicillin is used; in severe forms of the disease, the amount of the active substance can be increased to 60 mg. The received daily dose must be divided into 2-3 single portions. The duration of treatment is also selected individually.
Next, the dosage of the antibiotic for certain types of pathologies is considered:
|List of diseases||Daily dose (mg per kg of body weight)||Single dosage||Nuances of treatment|
|Inflammatory-purulent process in the lungs||40-60 mg||20-30 mg||Ospamox should be used for at least 10 days in the complex treatment, which is prescribed by a doctor.|
|Inflammatory diseases of a non-infectious nature in a chronic form||25-30 mg||8-10 mg||In severe cases of the disease, it is allowed to increase the daily dosage to 40 mg per 1 kg of body weight. At the same time, in addition to the antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic agents can be prescribed.|
|Inflammatory diseases of a non-infectious nature in acute form||45-60 mg||15-20 mg||The drug is used in combination treatment with the addition of pain relievers, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic drugs. A set of medicines is selected by a doctor.|
|Inflammatory diseases of an infectious nature in mild to moderate severity||30-45 mg||10-15 mg||Ospamox is used only after detecting the sensitivity of the infection to amoxicillin. The duration of the suspension is set by the pediatrician. Important. It is strictly forbidden to interrupt the course of treatment.|
|Inflammatory diseases of an infectious nature in acute form||45-60 mg||15-20 mg||The antibiotic should be used in combination therapy. The complex of drugs is established strictly by the attending physician, as well as the duration of the course.|
|Pertussis initial stage||30-60 mg||10-20 mg||The dosage and course of treatment are selected strictly individually.|
|Listeriosis||40-60 mg||20-30 mg||Complex therapy is required.|
|Leptospirosis||30-50 mg||15-25 mg||Combined treatment is needed.|
|Inflammation of the heart tissue||25-50 mg||8-16 mg||The drug can only be used with the permission of a cardiologist.|
|Prevention of the development of inflammation and infection after surgery||25-30 mg||8-15 mg||Ospamox is used both before and after the operation. The duration of admission is set by the attending physician according to the general condition of the patient and his age parameter.|
The course of treatment is established by a pediatrician. It should be borne in mind that in order to consolidate the result, the intake of the drug should be extended for another 2-5 days.
The Ospamox suspension is not produced in finished form (to extend the shelf life of the drug), but in the form of granules.
Therefore, it is important to be able to properly prepare and serve it to the child:
- Initially, you need to open the bottle. This requires pushing down on the cover and turning it counterclockwise. If you do not press on the cover, it will scroll, but will not open. The used method of operation of the cap allows you to protect children from accidental intake of the product on their own.
- After removing the cap, remove the protective film from the bottle.
- Pour warm water into a bottle (water must be warm, since cold water will poorly dissolve the granules, and hot water will reduce the medicinal properties of the device).
- Pour water approximately 1 cm below the mark indicated on the bottle.
- Close the bottle and shake the contents well.
- Open the bottle, wait for the foam to settle, and add water to the mark. Shake the suspension again.
- Open the bottle. Pour the required amount of suspension into a spoon or draw into a measuring syringe. Close the bottle.
- After the child takes the antibiotic, it is necessary to rinse the spoon or syringe well.
- Put the bottle and spoon (syringe) back into the carton. The packaging allows you to protect the suspension from sunlight, and the spoon / syringe from dirt.
It is necessary to shake the bottle before each use of the product, since the active substance settles to the bottom during storage.
Ospamox suspension, when compared with other antibiotics, has a small list of side effects (for both adults and children), which are manifested by the following symptoms:
- nausea, vomiting is not excluded (immediately after taking the drug);
- a sharp decrease in body weight;
- the appearance of abdominal pain;
- accumulation of gas in the intestines;
- diarrhea or constipation;
- dry mouth;
- violation of taste sensations;
- staining the enamel of the teeth and tongue in a dark color;
- arbitrary twitching of the limbs;
- convulsions. The symptom is more often observed in patients with kidney pathologies;
- changes in the work of the liver, the appearance of pain in the right side in the hypochondrium is possible;
- deterioration of kidney function;
- a decrease in the number of leukocytes, erythrocytes or platelets in the blood;
- the development of fever;
- accession of a fungal infection;
- violation of consciousness;
- the development of a depressive state;
- exacerbation of dermatological diseases;
- violation of coordination of movement;
- in extremely rare cases, a deterioration in well-being is manifested due to a decrease in immunity and the absence of a reaction to amoxicillin in the infection.
With intolerance to the composition, an allergic reaction can manifest itself from rashes to joint pain and anaphylactic shock.
If a child has a negative reaction, then it should be immediately reported to the pediatrician, and the antibiotic should be stopped before visiting the doctor.
In the case of taking a suspension in large quantities, or when undergoing a long course (more than 14 days) with a large dosage of an antibiotic, poisoning of the body is possible, which is characterized by the following symptoms:
- profuse vomiting and severe diarrhea;
- dehydration of the body due to vomiting and frequent loose stools;
- cramping, severe abdominal pain;
- an increase in the size of the abdomen due to the accumulation of gases in the intestines;
- intense thirst from dry mouth;
- lack of taste;
- dizziness, loss of consciousness is possible;
- severe cramps;
- yellowing of the skin as a result of severe liver dysfunction;
- a sharp increase in body temperature;
- exacerbation of viral and fungal diseases, if they have not been excluded;
- the development of hallucinations and delusions;
- detachment from the surrounding world;
- Drunk gait;
- A sharp deterioration in health;
- violation of urination due to impaired renal function;
- the development of suffocation in the presence of an allergy to the composition.
In case of poisoning with Ospamox, the victim should rinse the stomach, then give sorbents, and after 30 minutes a laxative. It is important that the victim drank a lot of water or took Rehydron to restore the water-salt balance. In severe forms of poisoning, doctors perform hardware purification of the blood from amoxicillin.
Ospamox suspension (for children, antibiotics should be used with extreme caution) must be used after reading not only the instructions, but also special instructions, which are specified by the pediatrician, when appointing funds.
The main subtleties of using the medication:
- the duration of the suspension is selected for each child individually, taking into account the dynamics of therapy;
- a single dosage is calculated for each patient, taking into account the weight, while the doctor takes into account the presence of chronic diseases in the child;
- to achieve a greater effect, after recovery, it is required to prolong the intake of the suspension by about 2-5 days (the duration depends on the disease);
- it is impossible to interrupt taking the drug immediately after the onset of improvements, as the disease will "return" again. But at the same time, the infection will decrease sensitivity to amoxicillin and Ospamox will no longer give the desired therapeutic effect;
- if there are disorders in the functioning of the kidneys and liver, then the dosage must be reduced;
- long-term use of an antibiotic often ends with the development of stomatitis in infants;
- when prescribing Ospamox in large doses, it is necessary to drink more liquid to the child in order to maintain the water-salt balance;
- with prolonged use of an antibiotic, it is necessary to take a blood test every 7 days, as well as check the functioning of the kidneys and liver;
- Ospamox is prescribed to premature babies with extreme caution and is used only under medical supervision;
- since the drug reduces blood coagulation, with a long course it is necessary to take drugs that increase the number of platelets;
- if the child has severe vomiting or diarrhea, then taking the drug will not work, since amoxicillin will not have time to act.
Before starting the course, especially in infants, it is necessary to exclude an allergic reaction, since the drug can cause the development of anaphylactic shock.
Ospamox suspension can be used simultaneously with other medicines, but only the combination of medicines should be selected by the pediatrician. The restrictions are based on the fact that some funds are not compatible with this antibiotic.
With which medicines Ospamox should be used with caution:
- Allopurinol (the drug normalizes the amount of uric acid in the body) increases the likelihood of developing severe allergies;
- Digoxin (an antiarrhythmic agent) is better absorbed, therefore, its dosage must be reduced;
- Methotrexate (antineoplastic agent) becomes more toxic;
- anti-inflammatory drugs increase the time of elimination of amoxicillin from the body;
- hormonal agents, as their effectiveness decreases.
In addition to the listed drugs, Ospamox cannot be used simultaneously with other antibiotics, since how they increase the likelihood of developing allergies, while increasing the therapeutic effect is not celebrated.
Ospamox (suspension for children has some analogues), if necessary, can be replaced with the following medicines:
- Flemoxin Solutab. The drug has the same active ingredient. The product is sold in the form of tablets that can be taken by children from birth;
- Amoxiclav. The drug has the same active ingredient, but it is enriched with clavulanic acid, which increases the effectiveness of the drug and reduces the likelihood of side effects. The product is available in the form of tablets and suspensions that can be used from birth;
- Hikontsil. The drug contains the same main component and is produced in the form of capsules and suspensions. The medication is approved for use from birth.
Any analogue for children should be selected by a pediatrician.
Terms of sale, storage and prices
Ospamox suspension is an antibiotic, and like all antibiotics, the drug can only be purchased with a prescription. At the same time, the dosage and course must be indicated in the prescription so that the pharmacist can select the right amount of the drug.
After purchase, the product must be stored at a temperature not exceeding 25 degrees with a plus sign, and after preparing the suspension, it should be stored in the refrigerator. At the same time, in a sealed form, the drug can be stored for up to 3 years from the date of production. And after preparing the suspension, the antibiotic is suitable for 14 days. The storage area should be dark and protected from direct sunlight.
Importantly, Ospamox, in case of an overdose, can cause severe poisoning, so it should be stored away from the reach of children.
Since the pharmaceutical company has not yet extended the review for sale, the drug is not available for sale, therefore, the cost for the drug is not provided in the article.
Ospamox suspension has gained popularity due to its high efficiency and low likelihood of side effects. An additional advantage of the medication is the possibility of its use for the treatment of children.
Author: Kotlyachkova Svetlana
Video about the drug Ospamox
Ospamox 1000 tablets and description, instructions: